35 | a crowning glory

T H I R T Y - F I V E | a crowning glory

C A P R I C E

Aiscelle's stricken face haunted me as Colt pulled me to his apartment. I didn't even know he had an apartment just close to where I lived. I had told him I couldn't face Aiscelle and he had said fine and dragged me away.

I surveyed the area. The bathroom was on my left and the bedroom was on the right. I walked further and saw his living room and kitchen. There was a small balcony that had a view of the city's lights.

But everything was new.

"Do you even live here?" I asked him as he entered the bedroom.

"Sometimes." Colt yanked his shirt off as he opened his closet. He chucked me one of his shirts. "You know I barely sleep."

"What? When are you gonna sleep then?"

"Maybe when you're in my bed."

I rolled my eyes as he sat down and unlaced his boots. "Do you think I should apologize?"

Colt looked up. "You didn't do anything wrong."

I knew that. And yet, I couldn't help but feel bad. Aiscelle was nice to me. She was the first person who was patient enough to teach me what I needed to survive. She was a good person who deserved my explanation.

"I lied," I muttered.

"Come on." Colt pulled me next to him. "What are you afraid of?"

I bit my lip. "I don't want to prolong this."

I did that enough these past eight years. No wonder only Indy had the nerve to tolerate me.

"Aiscelle's still upset. You can talk to her tomorrow," he said.

"You're not saying that to make me sleep here?"

Colt chuckled. "Maybe."

I shook my head as we prepared to go to bed. The large shirt displayed my legs as I twisted my hair in a messy bun. I returned to the bedroom and saw Colt busy with his phone. He changed through several sim cards.

He didn't look up and that irritated me. I wanted to ask the reason for that crease between his brows.

"Let's sleep?" I muttered instead.