29 | you and me vs the world

T W E N T Y - N I N E | you and me vs the world—

C A P R I C E

How about a kiss?

My world stopped.

It was a simple question. It wasn't my first time to hear it. I could just reject him as usual. And yet, I hesitated.

Weird.

I don't hesitate. Not now. Not ever.

"Caprice, why don't you answer?" Colt mumbled, rough fingers stroking my cheek.

"Not a chance," I finally managed to say.

Colt nodded as waves of disappointment rolled from him. "You will still work for me, right?"

"I don't know." I shrugged.

I was getting scared. I didn't want to get closer to him. I know I should stop. Colt likes me already. There's no need to push further.

"Shit." He loudly exclaimed as he yanked my wrist.

Colt's pace was fast as he led me to the woody area between Hexwood's main area and the line of bars they just left.

"Colt! Wait!"

The inadequate light caused me to stumble on some roots. I hissed at the ache in my ankle. I jerked my hand back. "Stop!"

He looked back at me with wide, concerned eyes. "Are you okay?"

I scowled at him. "You kept pulling me! Why do you always do this?"

Guilt crossed his features. He grabbed my hand tightly. "I'm sorry. I saw my boss...my previous boss."

"What! You mean—"

"Yes," he answered and rushed past me. "Stay here."

"What? Where are you going?"

"I'm gonna..." His jaw clenched as his dark eyes turned into pools of wrath. "You don't need to know."

But I knew exactly what he planned on doing.

"No! You can't go!" I gripped him by the shoulders as my voice trembled with fear. "You told me not to fight them. What makes you any different?"

I met his eyes, and at that moment, I would've said anything so that he wouldn't leave.

"If you insist on going, then take me with you! We'll fight together!"