30 | partners in crime

T H I R T Y | partners in crime—

C A P R I C E

One choice branches out to a million more choices.

Abuela had told me that one wrong decision would equal a ruined future. That's why 'you couldn't get it wrong, Caprice' or 'don't ever disappoint me, Caprice' or my personal favorite 'we don't make mistakes, Caprice'.

I couldn't sleep with all of Abuela's teachings floating in my head. Of course, she was right. She had already proved to me once that loving people was painful.

When Aeon died and it hurt me, Abuela's face had screamed 'I told you so'.

Colt had hurt me twice already. The logical decision would be to move on and forget all about him. That's the correct path.

And yet...

'My life in prison is the same as the life I led outside. I was in a cage, chained and bound'

How many years did he suffer?

I turned and screamed into the pillow. I was caring too much. Colt had no right to make my heart tremble like this.

I sat up and took a deep breath. I just have to approach this problem like any other else.

I placed a hand on my chest and recalled the kiss Colt and I shared. Blood rushed to my cheeks. I felt hot, remembering the hard heat of his body, the way he devoured my mouth, the way his fingers dug in my skin.

So wild, so passionate.

It had been a while since I kissed someone like that. Men in my world were always controlled. Too much like me. Sex and love were an obligation.

I wanted more of that.

"Damn it!"

I marched out of my door and knocked at Colt's door. I didn't know what my feelings were but if it's something fleeting, something that could be erased by one sexual encounter...

Then let's get it over with.

Colt opened the door. I was about to speak but his dreadful expression stopped me.

He yanked me inside. "Go and pack your bags."

"What?" I exclaimed as he rushed to the window. Colt muttered a curse as he forced the curtains close.