27 | one in a million

T W E N T Y - S E V E N | one in a million—

C A P R I C E

I was forced to look up as Colt clicked his tongue sharply. He kept fidgeting beside me that my trail of thoughts over our marketing analysis and ad campaigns kept fading. We had just finished breakfast without killing each other. It was a great start but now, he was being broody again.

"What is it?" I poked his arm.

"I'm thinking."

"Really? Stop it before you hurt yourself." I snapped and added another page to our presentation.

"Is that concern?" Colt chuckled before he sighed. "Is what you're planning for Sonny enough?"

I frowned. "Yes. He'll retreat, right?"

Colt appeared confused but straightened up as I glared at him. "Probably. But sometimes, they want it so much and if asking nicely doesn't work, they'll do a different thing. Like sending a dead horse."

"What?" My fists clenched on the table as I realized what he was saying. They're businessmen, no matter how illegal. People like that don't give up. They adjust and search for another way. "That won't do."

"Don't." It was only one word but the degree he said it sent a thousand warnings in my brain. "This is not a game, Caprice. Unless you're willing to take on a whole syndicate, better stop now."

I wasn't one to heed warnings when I knew I could win. But he was right. Dipping into the underworld was not in my plan.

And Indy would kill me.

"Fine," I mumbled and finished our report.

"No fighting?" He jabbed a finger in my arm. "I thought that was our foreplay?"

I closed the laptop and shot him a mocking smile. "You're such a sleaze."

My cheap phone vibrated and Indy's barrage of texts came in. Speak of the devil. I excused myself and trudged to the comfort room, feeling Colt's heated gaze on me.

Indiana's text ranged from 'How are you doing' to 'call me ASAP'. I rolled my eyes and called him.

"Caprice!"

"Don't shout." I checked every stall to make sure no one was there. When I was satisfied, I entered an empty stall and cringed at the thought germs. I immediately went out and decided to lean on the sink. "Why did you call?"