{5} Elusive Thoughts

"We are going to war motherfuckers!"

•••

Conversations. That's all she could hear. Lots of buzzing conversations. The girl was stood timidly beside the leather clad man, her eyes scanning the bustle of busy people. They were scurrying around, chatting amongst each other whilst attending to their allocated jobs.

Brooklyn shuddered as the pompous leader snaked an arm around her shoulders. He leant in closer towards her ear, his warm breath sending chills down her neck, "as you can see, there are an assload of jobs to have here." He paused and ominously chuckled, "don't worry though, I think I got the perfect fucking job for you..."

Something about his words made Brooklyn feel slightly apprehensive, yet she couldn't understand why this man was able to shrink her fearless personality without even trying. She needed to be strong. She needed to show this man that she wasn't someone to be controlled. She was no puppet.

"Get your damn hands off me," She snarled.

Licking his lips, Negan raised an eyebrow and heavily swung the deadly baseball bat across his broad shoulders. "Jesus Christ darlin', you coulda fucking asked politely."

Brooklyn rolled her eyes and placed her hands sassily on her hips, she winced in pain as her injured ankle clicked, leaving her to flounder backwards towards the stone floor.

"Fuck sweetheart, I got ya," the bat wielding man rasped. He extended his arm, tightly wrapping his fingers around her wrist and pulling her to her feet before her head could bash in to a loose piece of metal.

She was lucky that he'd caught her in time, seeing as her head was inches away from being brutally cracked open. Her breath was hitched in her throat and her hands began to judder in shock.

The girl gave herself a second to calm down. She then shakily sighed and turned her attention to Negan. His expression showed no humour, and for the first time, he looked serious. He softly stared in to the girl's eyes, hypnotised by a coffee coloured mixture of brown, "Damn, that was fucking close. You alright?"

Without saying a word, she nodded. Her mind preoccupied with other things, like where were they going? Or what job was this man willing to give her? All of it seemed like false hope, how could a place as gloomy and as threatening as this be a decent camp to live in?

"If you fucking say so sweetheart," he shrugged, "now follow me."

He lead her over to a flight of stairs, the paint was chipped and beginning to rust, showing that they'd began to decay over time. Brooklyn huffed as Negan casually began to climb them, his boots loudly clanking against the metal. She knew it would be a struggle, but hurt ankle or not, the girl proceeded to limp after him.

That challenge lasted about two steps and Brooklyn found that it was easier to hoist her whole body up by using the railing then it was to painfully walk up instead. She grunted, causing Negan to spin around and snort at the sight, "I thought you were fucking alright? Or does little miss 'oh I'm so fucking pretentious that I don't need to ask for help' actually need some fucking help?" He taunted, the corners of his mouth beginning to stretch.

Brooklyn clenched her jaw and spoke through gritted teeth, "yes Negan, I need some fucking help."

Stood there with his signature smirk, the leader flicked his tongue along the top row of his pearly whites, "not so fucking hard is it?" He stepped forward and supported her weight up the rest of the stairs before they were greeted by a group of people who were lingering at the top.