{51} Truth Be Told

"You know I sacrificed everything for you, right?"

•••

Negan couldn't believe it was her. Everything he was told, was a lie, and here Brooklyn was- alive in the flesh and blood.

They'd been savouring each other's touch for the past few minutes, fearful to let go of one another in case something happened again. The feeling of just holding the woman he truly loved was so comforting after everything he was told and went through, and as pathetic as it sounded, Negan never wanted to let her go.

"We should probably bail outta here," Brooklyn murmured, slowly manoeuvering from his protective hold.

The man tipped his head and narrowed his eyes, almost as if he was thinking about something important or trying to figure something out. Brooklyn noticed this, cocking her head in suspicion, "what?"

He aimlessly blinked, presenting some sort of dumbfounded expression, "nothing?"

Brooklyn skeptically nodded, shaking off any negative thoughts. She handed him one of the pistols she'd stolen off of the guards and motioned upstairs, "c'mon, there's a car parked a mile up the road from here with some supplies in and enough gas to get us far away from this shithole."

A warm fuzzy feeling rippled through Negan's stomach as he held the simple weapon in his clutch. He was finally escaping, it was finally happening! There was, however, a big part of him that wanted to return and teach the Alexandrians a lesson, but for now, it would have to wait.

The harsh sound of his bare feet smacking against the tiles as he followed Brooklyn upstairs reminded her that he wouldn't make it very far outside these walls without any shoes. They made it to the top to see Hunter towering over Gabriel's palpitating body, applying pressure to his gunshot wound.

The sight was enough to make Negan chuckle, his chest rattling in pure sadistic amusement. He snorted and bent down beside the two guards, "don't be such a big baby, Gabey! That wound ain't fatal, just a uh, real fucking pain in the ass!" Despite Brooklyn's heavy sigh of what he presumed to be annoyance, the saviour continued to reach out for Gabriel's shoes. "Ooh, that kinda rhymed!" His hands claimed the leather footwear and Negan grumbled, "this shit'll have to do. You don't mind if I borrow 'em, right?"

Gabriel scowled, wincing in pain as his personal space was violated and his shoes were torn right off of his feet. "Ri-ck will f-find you..." He sputtered, sharp breaths seething through his teeth.

As established already, Brooklyn was annoyed. They'd stayed here long enough, if they wanted to leave, it needed to happen now. "Whatever," she turned to Negan, watching as he finished slipping the shoes on and tugged his arm, "c'mon!"

"Lead the way, baby," he growled, licking his lips, being fair to say that the old Negan was slowly reanimating itself. Brooklyn winked, shooing him towards the direction of the gate whilst she gazed down on Hunter. They'd said their goodbyes this morning, but even so, she still couldn't believe she'd probably never see him again after all this.

"I'm sorry guys," she locked eye contact with the boy when she said it, just so that he could know that she was being sincere. "Hunter, you probably hate my fucking guts right now, but know that I'll always love you and Austin."

With that, she twirled around on the ball of her foot, surprised to see that Negan was actually waiting patiently by the gate, his arms folded and foot tapping in a fake, irritable manor. The picture made her giggle and shake her head, of course. Although, it wasn't until she noticed a dark figure sneaking up behind the man, that made her heart skip a beat. Brooklyn squealed his name, but it was to late. Negan was forced to throw his hands up in the air by some mysterious silhouette with a shotgun.