{37} Line Of Fire

"part of me wishes that things could be different"

•••

Brooklyn steadied her breathing, the more closer she drove to where everything was happening, the more panicked she became.

Her clammy palms claimed the steering wheel, whilst her foot was being sprung against the gas pedal. Beside her in the passenger seat was of course Negan, and in the back was Eugene and their hostage, Gabriel.

"Darlin'?" A gentle hand squeezed her thigh, and she shakily breathed at the contact, "stop worrying. I know you are, you're so fucking jumpy."

It was true. There was no point in lying to the man, he already knew that she was scared. Brooklyn wetted her lips, and unconvincingly nodded, "ok."

Still, Negan saw right through her. He expressed a heavy sigh and peered through the murky truck window, watching as they whisked passed all the treacherous forests and uninviting roads that probably didn't lead anywhere. He hoped that, unlike last time, today was actually going to be the day that they conquered the Alexandrians and Hilltoppers and whoever else was there. With this plan, Negan was sure that if everyone played their part, everything would run smoothly and no saviours would need to die.

"You don't have to do this," chimed in the velvety voice of the priest sat unwillingly in the back seat, "is this what you really want?"

The situation was in fact complex. Brooklyn remembered when all she wanted to do, was murder Rick Grimes. But now? Now, a part of her wanted to live peacefully alongside Alexandria with Negan by her side. Of course, she knew that could never happen, one could always dream though.

In almost a forced reply, Negan shook his head and glanced over at Brooklyn, who had her eyes peeled on the bumpy road ahead of them. "It's not about what I want, Gabey-" he huffed, his expression showcasing a mere regret, "it never was."

"Shit!" The girl shrieked, the truck crazily swerving round a lonely roamer stumbling across their path. Brooklyn's mindset was spiralling all over the place, not even realising that during the commotion, Gabriel had jumped out from the moving vehicle.

Frustrated, Negan wrung her arm, shaking it from side to side, "stop the damn truck!" She did as she was told and immediately slammed her foot down on the brake. They all clambered out, wasting no time, "he can't of gone far," Negan proclaimed, "the prick can't see shit anyway."

Brooklyn scuttled off in to the depths of the towering trees, her eyes roaming desperately across the picturesque landscape. She could hear the crunching of leaves from other saviours as they searched for their hostage, Negan would be furious if no one could find him. Her hand grasped the grimy bark of a log, and she half-smiled in triumph, seeing the baffled figure of the priest trying to make his escape.

She was about to run over and tie him back up, when a sudden feeling washed over her body. Guilt. Brooklyn grimaced and twisted her head, why was she guilty? They were doing all this to ensure the safety of the sanctuary. Why the hell was the girl feeling guilty about trying to keep her own people safe?

Because maybe you're doing it all the wrong way.

No, she couldn't be. Brooklyn pursed her lips, and took a deep breath.

"You found him-"

Exhaling, she spun around and plastered a devilish grin on her face when she saw Negan. "Nice one sweetheart," he finished with a smirk.

She shrugged and cleared her throat in an awkward manor, "well, he weren't hard to find."

Negan clicked his tongue and smugly strolled towards the confused man as he attempted so desperately to get away. His arms reached out in front of his body, fingers wiggling and wrenching to grab the closest thing possible.