{35} The Dark Knight

"Can I trust you?"

•••

Brooklyn winced, the excruciating pain she was feeling started coming close to unbearable. Ever since Negan had demanded that Eugene stitched up all of her wounds, they'd been stinging like hell. Not only that, but her body was beginning to experience the aftermath of the bruising and kicking from the fight.

They still had the meeting to attend to, which Brooklyn was actually looking forward to because Negan had told her that he had gained new information about one of his lieutenants. Though at first, Brooklyn didn't care, that was until she found out that this particular person was someone who she didn't actually like.

"So," the man donned his leather jacket and cleared his throat, "can you tell me what the fuck happened now?"

Holding back a smile, Brooklyn retorted, "I said I'd tell you after the meeting," she finished up combing her newly washed hair and spun around on her seat, noticing Negan grumble, "and if I'm correct, the meeting hasn't started yet."

"But I can't wait that long!" He jokingly argued back, "I wanna know what crazy shit happened around here..."

Considering the fact that the girl wasn't actually at the sanctuary whilst Negan wasn't there, she didn't quite know what to say. "Well, fun fact-" Brooklyn awkwardly clicked her tongue, "I wasn't here!" She finished it off with a little chuckle as well, hoping to ease the situation, but by the expression on Negan's face- it didn't look like he was happy.

He skeptically glanced in her direction and raised one brow, "and what the fuck does that mean exactly, doll?"

"It means that..." oh shit, he looks pissed, "it- I, uh, was somewhere else?"

Brooklyn immediately stood up and rushed to his side, "I'm ok though," she reassured him, gently patting her hand against his chest.

Cupping her cheek, Negan sighed, of course he was angry that she'd disobeyed his rules, but there must've been a reason. "Why'd you leave? You could've been hurt, or killed."

The girl had to admit, she loved it when he was calm and cuddly. She tugged softly at his damp curls of dark brown, and bought their heads together, "I wanted to help you with Hilltop. So I left on my own and then found Simon and the rest of the saviours in this little town. Simon told me that you were- gone and so I went searching for you." Brooklyn paused and pulled away, gazing up in to his mesmerising coffee-hued eyes, "when I found the car tipped on its side and- and all the blood? I felt sick, I didn't know what to do."

Sympathetic, Negan frowned, he hated seeing her so upset because of him. "So anyway, whilst I was crying, Rick found me and took me as a hostage back to Hilltop," She gulped as the man's whole body tensed and his grip on her unintentionally tightened, "and whilst I was there, with the other saviours that were already imprisoned, Simon arrived. Maggie told him if he turned around, she'd let us all go, which then gave me hope because I thought I could trust Simon, I kinda saw him as a friend."

Once again, the leader clenched his jaw and continued to frown, he didn't like where this was going. "Simon basically told her that we were useless and that nobody cared about me especially- including you, which thinking back now is kinda funny." Brooklyn expressed a small giggle, encouraging Negan to do the same, but it seemed as if he was to arrogated about what had happened to even acknowledge her attempt at a joke. So instead, she carried on. "Then all the fighting kicked off, Simon tried to kill me whilst babbling on about wishing that you were dead so that he could lead the sanctuary. It was all a bunch of bullshit really, but Michonne luckily found me and managed to help me. I thought I stood a chance at being let go, but Rick still wanted me as leverage. So I was put in to this fucking cage or pen, whatever you wanna call it- and waited it out there with the other saviours."