{7} New Friend?

"So, how'd you find this place?"

•••

Being able to relax was something that Brooklyn hadn't experienced in a while, and as she lay carelessly lounged out across her bed in her new room, she couldn't help but relish the moment while she had it.

Though her bedroom wasn't as luxurious as the leader's- which was obviously expected- she was still extremely grateful. It was a cramped space but had enough room for not only a comfortable bed but a small kitchen area with a splintered table that fit two matching chairs, a closet and a shelf that Brooklyn could only presume was for personal items like photographs and books.

Negan had told the girl that once she had settled in she could explore what the sanctuary had to offer. She was also given thirty points as a free starting payment to spend on new clothes down in the market, which she was going to make sure she put good use to.

Yet first Brooklyn needed something to eat, her stomach hungrily growled, she hadn't eaten since the day at the gas station and she was sure that it was starting to make her feel ill. So, without further ado, Brooklyn rolled lazily off of the bed and trudged over to the door.

Before leaving, she took a last glance over her shoulder at her backpack that was sat at the table, minding its own business. She smiled to herself and wondered aimlessly in to the corridors.

Now, Negan had mentioned a cafeteria on the ground floor, so all Brooklyn had to do was find some sort of stairwell. All of the walls looked the same dull, grey colour and trying to navigate in this place was impossible, it was like exploring a maze.

Brooklyn reached another dead end full of what she could only guess were more bedrooms. Groaning with frustration, she spun around on her heel, only to slam straight in to someone's chest.

"Oh shit," she hissed, blinking her eyes in a slow daze, "are you okay?!" She cocked her head up to see a guy peering down on her.

The corners of his mouth curled in to a cheeky smile and he finally chuckled, "I'm fine, are you okay?" His voice was rich and husky, but had a more gentle tone. He awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck with his hand whilst waiting for her answer.

Realising that she needed to compose herself, Brooklyn nervously smiled and shrugged her shoulders, "yeah I'm ok, sorry about that I er-" she fiddled messily with the bottom of her shirt, "I'm a bit lost..."

Once again, the man chuckled, "You new here?"

"Yeah, literally arrived here earlier."

Holding out his hand, he gifted her with a genuine smile, "Sweet. The name's Hunter. Hunter Grays. Where are you trying to go?"

Hesitantly shaking hands with the stranger, the girl thinned her lips in to a straight line, "the cafeteria? I was told it was on the ground floor but I have no idea where that is," she confessed, "oh and I'm Brooklyn Scotts."

"Well Brooklyn, I was literally just about to go down there and get some dinner, I'll be happy to take you?"

The girl pondered for a moment, did she really wanna start making friends in this place? For once, her subconscious had nothing to say, so it was up to her.

"Thanks Hunter but-" She was about to object to the idea when she realised she still needed clean clothes...but it could wait until after she had devoured a plate of food, "actually, don't worry, let's go."

She followed Hunter down numerous flights of stairs and by the time she'd made it to the ground floor, she felt as if she'd just ran a marathon from a horde of viscous roamers.