{29} Setting Things Straight

"I want you to understand what I'm feeling..."

•••

"So, interesting clothes choice B," Austin teased, trudging alongside the girl.

Endless amounts of splotchy red and brown autumn leaves flooded the damp forest grounds, crunching underneath each step they all took. The gnarled branches of the trees waved their claw-like fingers in the direction of the calm breeze, creating a horror movie-like effect.

Brooklyn snickered and rolled her eyes, "shut up, it wasn't my choice!" Her gaze drifted over to Hunter, who was trekking behind them all on his own, "what's up with your brother?"

The young boy pursed his lips, was he allowed to mention the 'guy talk' that he'd had with her so called boyfriend? Knowing Negan and his sly personality, Austin guessed that Brooklyn probably didn't know what the conversation had been about. "I'm not sure... I, uh, maybe you should ask him?" He suggested, nibbling worriedly on his lip, "he's most likely pissed at the fact he was made to go on this trip, I dunno."

To be fair, Brooklyn hadn't spoken to him since the day of the attack, maybe that's why he's annoyed, she thought. More twigs cracked under her tatty converse as she trampled towards the boy. "Well hey there stranger," she bumped his shoulder, "you seem down? What's up?"

Hunter sighed, "it doesn't matter," his voice became muffled by the combination of the cold wind and the hood of his jacket. He wanted to tell her everything- from his feelings about her, to his honest opinions on Negan and what he'd said to him.

"Pretty pleaseee," she sang, laughing at herself, however, her smile slowly fading as she was rewarded with no answer from her friend.

He wasn't annoyed at her, was he?

"Hey man, seriously, are you ok?" Brooklyn pressed her palm against his chest so that she could block him from ignoring her and mindlessly stumbling past. "Is it me? Have I done something to hurt you?"

It wasn't that he was annoyed at her, he was generally just annoyed about everything. About how things were happening like they were, instead of what they could have been. Throwing his head down, the boy huffed, "no. You've done nothing Brooklyn." He slowly raised his head again, stifling a weak smile.

If it wasn't her, it was someone else, "Negan?" She asked, "did he do something?" He remained silent, once again staring quietly at the floor.

That's when the girl realised. She'd not once asked Negan what he'd said to the two brothers once she'd left that day. Who knows what he actually did?! "Holy shit," she said aloud, "what did he say to you after I left? On the day of the attack?"

"He didn't tell you?"

She scoffed, "no," then shrugging, she added, "I didn't ask. Completely forgot to."

Hunter gulped, gazing longingly at the girl he knew he couldn't have. It wasn't fair. How come a girl as nice as Brooklyn, wanted to willingly be with a monster like Negan?! To him, it just wasn't fair.

After waiting for an explanation that obviously wasn't going to happen, Brooklyn grew impatient. She cleared her throat and interrupted his thinking, "Hunter?" Just as quick as the words fell from her mouth, the boy, startled, jumped back slightly, giving her his full attention. "You have to tell me what happened. If you're worried about what Negan'll do- don't. He won't hurt you as long as I'm here."

She was right. He had to tell her. As much as he hated it, being Negan's girlfriend, she deserved to know what had been said. "He basically threatened me," he mumbled, chewing on the inside of his cheek as they both stumbled alongside each other, "-told me if it wasn't for you? I'd be dead and that the only reason he hadn't killed me was because you'd hate him."