{36} Exposed

"I'm just really tired- psychically and emotionally"

•••

"I can't believe you murdered that asshole Simon the other day, B!"

Both Brooklyn and Hunter rolled their eyes, snickering at the youngest boy's comment. "You're brother didn't think I could do it," she deliberately poked her tongue out at Hunter and squeaked as he tried to playfully slap her shoulder.

It hadn't been long since Brooklyn had woken up to the raucous snores coming from the man who slept to her left. After last night's film, the two of them had decided to have a few games of pool, which didn't finish until quite late- partly because Negan was a sore loser and couldn't accept the fact that Brooklyn was frankly the better player. So as a result, the couple were knackered, and when the girl tried to wake him up, he grunted and rolled over, mumbling drowsily in to the pillow, "give me another hour. I'll meet you in the cafeteria."

For the first time in a while, Brooklyn was feeling rather anxious about the 'war' today. Normally when the saviours were attacking Rick, she would be eager and ready to fight. But this time, her heart was doing summersaults at the idea. Not to mention, her and Negan still had some business to attend to in regards to the scuzzy lieutenant with the burnt face, which she hoped would lighten the mood a bit, for her anyway- as crazy as it sounded.

"Aren't you gonna eat your apple?" Austin motioned to the lustrous red fruit sat on the dinner-hall table.

Brooklyn picked it up, tossing it around in her palms. To be honest, she wasn't quite sure why she even chose something to eat, "I'm not really that hungry," she replied back, staring blankly at the fruit, "you can have it if you want."

She offered it to the brothers, both of them politely declining, so instead she placed it back on the table, "I'll leave it here or something then."

Hunter studied her downcast expression, puzzled. A minute ago, they were all laughing, and now she was clearly feeling something else. "Are you okay, Brooke?" He asked, taking ahold of one of her hands, "you can tell us if you're not."

The girl shrugged and weakly smiled whilst softly patting his hand in a way of returning the kind gesture, "yeah. I've just felt really weird lately." She pondered for a moment, trying to find the right words, "I guess I- I'm just really tired- psychically and emotionally." Brooklyn sighed, "I dunno, I'm just rambling on about pointless shit."

"It's alright," he reassured her, "maybe you shouldn't go today. Stay here on your own, the sanctuary's basically gonna be empty, at least you'll have peace and quiet."

That was not something Brooklyn wanted to do. She shook her head, "no. I can't," and chewed habitably on her lip, "I have to help. I have to make sure Negan and you guys are all ok."

Frustrated, Hunter ruffled his hair and leant back tiresomely in to his seat, "have you told him that you feel like that? Because surely he wouldn't let you go if he knew."

"No," she muttered, "he'd probably make me stay, which is why I haven't said anything."

A sinister whistle suddenly took everyone by surprise, silencing the different conversations dotted around the hall. Brooklyn mouthed, "please don't tell him," and watched with ease as everyone bowed down and dropped to the floor.

By now, Negan was used to the girl disobeying his rules and so, just pretended as if it were normal. Today, he had gone all out to make sure that he was looking sharp and stylish, his ebony coloured hair was neatly slicked back; the prickly beard on his olive skin complexion was tidy and well presented, and who couldn't forget his signature leather jacket; acquainted with polished boots; dark, waist-fitting jeans and a classic red scarf. Lucille wielded his right hand, the jagged coils of wire ironically glistening underneath the lights.