{44} Message Sent

"they say that talking to yourself is the first sign of madness"

•••

It was the same process as last night. Go in, slide the tray on the floor and then leave. Surely that was easy enough?

Right?

Hunter had been stood still for roughly ten minutes staring at the door to Negan's cell whilst contemplating the choices he had. He hadn't moved an inch and he knew it was only because of the tiny little note hidden underneath the simple glass of orange juice. Who knew that a crumpled piece of paper with a few scribbles on it would cause such a panic?

Well, I guess you could say that it did have something to do with the escape of the very prisoner that he was supposed to be guarding. It was never his intention to go behind Rick's back like this but, what other choice did he have? He couldn't betray his own brother and best friend for his own 'selfishness' as they put it.

It had now been the hundredth time that the boy had taken a deep breath and he seriously couldn't believe how childish and juvenile he was acting. It was totally uncalled for, but- he couldn't help it! His sweaty fingers squeezed the corners of the tray, his gut screaming for him to just parade in there without a second thought.

And so, that's what he did.

Without even realising it, Hunter found himself halfway down the steps and he felt quite proud that he'd managed to do it just like that.

The gleaming sun rays slowly died down as the heavy door slammed shut, leaving him in a sea of black with only a slice of light to crawl through helplessly underneath. Hunter gulped at the gloomy atmosphere, his heavy footsteps clicking against the stone tiles. He tried to remind himself that today was just as normal as any other day. Except it wasn't. Today was only just the beginning of a formidable plan.

As expected, Negan was splayed out across his hard and extremely uncomfortable bed. His hands were cushioning his head in a cool manor and one leg was folded over the other. "Nice to see you again, friend," he jeered.

Hunter chose to ignore his remark and edged forward towards the entrance of the cell where he was able to slip the breakfast tray behind the bars. It was only then that he could just about make out the sinister grin plastered on the man's chapped lips, successfully causing him to shudder.

"Don't be rude asshole, say hello!" Negan chuckled at his own joke and arose to his feet so that he could grab the tray. Hunter watched with caution, afraid of what this man was capable of.

"I'll come back to collect it in fifteen minutes," he spun around on both heels and headed back up the stairs and through the corridor, the loud clatter of the lock thundering throughout the cell walls.

Dumbfounded, Negan mumbled, "the fuck's his problem- ?" And bent over to reach for his breakfast. His stomach gurgled and grumbled at the sight of a bowl of freshly made porridge and a small glass of orange juice. After last nights uproar, he hadn't eaten or drank anything since yesterday morning, which meant he couldn't wait to devour his meal.

In his routinely manor, he slouched against the wall and sunk down to the floor with his legs up in front of him and his breakfast tray perched in his lap. Negan rolled his tongue against his lips and picked up his spoon, digging it ravenously in to the bowl. He shovelled a spoonful of porridge in to his mouth and hummed, "fuck me this shit is good!"