{8} Two Brothers

"The fuck are you doing?!"

•••

Last night was probably the best sleep that Brooklyn had had in nearly three years. Not having to worry about her safety or security, or any staggering roamers that could easily rip open her flesh whilst she was sleeping felt amazing. Everything was perfect.

Even having that shower made the girl feel like a millionaire. She was finally able to wash off all of the dry blood and dirt that was smudged across her cheeks or knotted in her hair.

It felt as if she was laying comfortably on top of a cloud, her feet were tangled messily in the bedsheets and her face was buried amongst two lumpy pillows. It couldn't get better than this!

Just as she'd rolled over, three rhythmically sounding knocks pounded against the wooden door, breaking the peaceful silence in her room. She decided to ignore it and smother the blanket right over her ears in a desperate hope that whoever it was would go away, or as she would say- piss off.

"Hey Brooklyn, It's Hunter, you ready?"

Shit. Hunter. You're Late. Get up now.

The girl groggily peeled her eyes open and stretched her limbs before emitting a yawn. Her joints awkwardly clicked in an attempt to sit up and she rubbed her face tiredly with her hands.

"Coming..." her voice came out croakier than expected. Brooklyn tossed her quilt off of her body and swung her bare legs over the base of the bed, wiggling her toes as they touched the cold floor.

Due to not having any clean clothes, the girl had slept in her bra and panties. She aimed her gaze at the pile of rugged clothes that were sprawled out on the rug. They were severely ripped and had large stains of roamer guts on every place possible.

Ha. It was your fault for not getting new clothes yesterday.

Brooklyn frowned. She hated to admit it, but her subconscious was clearly right. Now she was going to have to shove on an outfit that looked like it had survived hell and back, which to be fair-

Since she was late, she decided to shout to Hunter through the slither of what was a gap in the door, "Hey, I er kinda just woke up... So I need to put on these clothes and then-"

"I could tell," came the muffled voice from the other side, unlike hers, he spoke in a lively tone as if he'd been awake for hours, "have you even got any clean clothes?"

Brooklyn hesitantly chuckled, "um, no... I was slightly distracted yesterday..." she harshly swallowed, her throat feeling bone dry.

Her ears perked up at the sound of a small chuckle, "thought you might've said that! I bought some just in case, I'll pass 'em through the door."

A small blush blurted on to her cheeks as she gently took the clean clothes. "Thank you so much!" She slipped on the patterned silk top and blue jeans, happy that they'd fit. Then, Brooklyn messily tied her hair back before finally shoving on her scuffed grey trainers.

Swiftly grabbing her backpack off of the table, she made sure that her lyric book and pen was packed in there before heading out. Brooklyn took a deep breath, suddenly feeling anxious, today was her first full day here and she was about to experience what life was really like in the sanctuary.

She grasped on to the handle of the door and lightly pulled it open, meeting the excited face of Hunter. His hair was slightly ruffled and a carefree smile took its place across his lips. He had his arms folded as he let out another chuckle, "not a morning person then?"