{13} Saviour

"Death. The new world. It all sucks"

•••

Just like normal, the market was full of bustle, each conversation louder than the next. Brooklyn was on her own, she was in search of a guitar pick and some new pens before her little get-together with Negan. It was a bit of a random combination but they were both two things that she felt she needed.

Even after spending most of the night talking to her friend, strangely, the girl wasn't tired. She had woke up at about eight thirty, tied her hair in to a messy bun, shoved on a baggy grey hoodie and black leggings and had breakfast down in the cafeteria. Then after writing some new lyrics outside by the fish pond, Brooklyn had thought about venturing out in to the market, and that's where she was now.

Trying to get through crowds of people who were laughing and chatting was hard enough on its own, but with crutches? It was hell. Fortunately after a while though, Brooklyn had found what she was looking for.

"Hey, do you happen to sell guitar picks?" She managed a small smile towards the woman sat at the stall, "oh, and maybe some pens?"

The woman flashed a grin back, she seemed to be the only content person working. It was odd really, considering how many people treated the market sellers badly and demanded for their items, yet this woman didn't seem fazed at all.

"Hiya hunny, we should do!" her voice was bubbly and vibrant with a thick southern accent.

Brooklyn eased up a bit, thanking the young woman whilst looking through the large tub that she'd been given. Her eyes scanned the contents of various bits and bobs, "you sure have a lot in here," she remarked.

"Yeah, there's a lot of different shit in there." This girl seemed pretty genuine, reminding Brooklyn of yet another one of her old best friends. Brooklyn predicted that she was around the same age as her, maybe slightly older, "I haven't seen you around before, are you new here?"

Picking up a black ballpoint, Brooklyn shrugged, "I got here a couple days ago. So, I guess you could say that."

The woman nodded and smiled, "well I hope you're liking it here so far and Negan's not scared you to much!" She joked, "I'm Kelsey by the way."

Awkwardly showcasing a meek grin, the naive saviour intentionally ignored the first few words that Kelsey had stated. Of course the market owner had no idea about the so called bond that Brooklyn had with the boss, and to be honest Brooklyn wanted it to stay that way.

"Name's Brooklyn, and yeah, this place is- it's somewhere to finally call a home."

After a couple minutes of searching, Brooklyn had finally gathered everything she thought she might need.

"Ok honey, just sign your name," Kelsey told her, witnessing the younger girl put her things in her backpack, "may I ask why you need that stuff? You play guitar or something?"

Brooklyn pursed her lips, "Yeah, scavenged one the other day. I just forgot the pick, which, if I have it, will make it easier for me to play the guitar." She scribbled her name in scruffy cursive on to the sheet and handed it back to Kelsey, "and the pens are so I can write more songs with basically."

Impressed, Kelsey excitedly clapped her hands, "oooh! I hope you manage to write some good songs! Come back here anytime honey!"

Once she'd done everything needed, Brooklyn nodded and braced herself for having to stumble back through the masses of saviours and market dwellers.

Boy, was this going to be fun...

<><><>

It had taken a while- but the new kickass saviour was back in her room and ready for tonight.