{20} Hey Asshole

"So, you really thought I was dead huh?"

•••

That voice, it couldn't be. Brooklyn nearly fell to the ground, her whole body shaking in what she believed to be relief, shock or maybe just happiness.

But there he was. Alive. His whole body was drenched in rancid guts, bubbling pieces of decomposing flesh and oozy thick blood. The long Cheshire cat grin on his face stretched wide, and the twinkle in his dreary looking eyes were full of unsaid, yet somehow iniquitous, intentions. A battered Lucille was of course strung over his shoulder, gleaming in all of her own sadistic glory.

Next to him was who the girl remembered to be that priest from Alexandria. Brooklyn studied him for a moment before tearing her sight away to glance back up at Negan.

She smiled, so many thoughts and feelings were being processed in her mind to the point where she couldn't even begin to explain some of them.

"I bet y'all thought I was dead!" He bellowed, scanning the room, "chewed up and never to be crapped out again!"

Yup.

Everyone was consumed by silence, carefully listening to their leader, however none of them seemed to be bothered by the fact that Brooklyn was still standing, and even Negan was oblivious as he continued to put on his little show.

His voice was guttural, presumably from tiredness. After all, no one knew what he had to go through just to get back inside. "Well here's a little refresher on who the fuck I am!" Negan smirked, finally meeting the girl's eye, "I wear a leather jacket, I have Lucille, and my nutsack is made of steel! I am not dying until I am damn good and ready!"

Giving him the knowledge that she was glad to see him ok, Brooklyn nodded her head ever so slightly. Luckily he noticed, returning the gesture. "Now if you'll excuse me, I am in a deep fucking need for a shower, a sandwich and a chat with my girl over there," Lucille was dangled in the air, aimed in Brooklyn's direction, causing her to blush. "But after? After that I'm gonna have a talk with my right hand man, find out how all this shit happened like it did."

Simon gulped, staring shamefully at the floor and even Brooklyn couldn't help but feel a little bit sorry for him. Although in that past he'd acted like an arrogant twat, he had tried hard to keep the sanctuary safe and she hoped that Negan would see that.

"Then, we'll get back to what we do best- and that's saving people," He remarked, trailing his tongue slyly across his bottom lip.

One woman shouted from the crowd, "thank you Negan! Thank god for you!"

As he began to meander back down the hall, the valiant leader mumbled something to Gabriel, who was still cowering on the floor. He then loudly called out, "gentlemen, gently take him to number two- gently."

Two tough looking saviours yanked the priest's arms and harshly pulled him to his feet before dragging him in the opposite direction.

All of the workers descended down the stairs one by one with their heads hung low and Brooklyn didn't even hesitate to hurry after Negan, leaving Hunter and Austin in awe.

"Hey asshole!" She yelled, noticing the broad shadowy figure at the end of the hall stop in its tracks.

The silhouette spun around, revealing the handsomely rugged man that, about an hour ago, was named dead. Brooklyn's smile grew bigger and she could feel the tears welling up just at the sight of him.