Masks

A/N: Just a little chapter because I had a bit of free time. Enjoy!

You stare at the door as it closes. How can he be this way? One second he's saying that he trusts me and the next, he doesn't! Which is it? Why does he always do this? He always draws a line between me and them. Why does he always have to be so distant? You feel like crying. You stare at the closed door until you see your vision blur. UGH! Why am I crying?! You scream out in frustration before crouching to the ground and hugging your knees. There was no stopping the tears now that the floodgate was opened. You're overwhelmed by the new information and your feeling of powerlessness. This was more deep than you ever expected. Now I'm being played with by mystical beings and running errands for witches and BTS and Got7 are here and I don't know what to do anymore! I'm close to them, but I can't be too close. I have to stop. 

"Dusk was right..." you sob.

"Are you okay?" A voice asks gently.

"Do I seem okay?" You respond bitterly without looking. After sensing that the person bothering you hadn't left yet to let you wallow in self-pity, you glare up at them. Instead of seeing a stranger, you are met with the shaken face of Jungkook who looks like he has no clue what to do next. You sigh.

"Sorry, I'm just a little overwhelmed." You scoff at yourself for trying to make the problem seem like no big deal after screaming and crying your eyes out. Jungkook sits next to you on the cool asphalt.

"I'm a pretty good listener," he smiles at you. Something about his little smile is disarming and you tell him everything- from Namjoon snapping at you just now, to the weird dreams, to the causes of those weird dreams. He seems surprisingly accepting of everything you're saying.

"You believe me?" You ask, sniffling.

"Yeah, there's no reason not to. You've done everything you could. Clearly you're not insane, because I'm actually here, so I'm not just made up in your head." He pokes your forehead and you relax at the touch from his cool fingertip. You smile a little.

"But Namjoon... he said he trusted me..." you feel tears start to well up again. Jungkook sighs.

"He's always like that. He's- he's been through a lot. I think it might be partly my fault. He's always trying to protect us." You look at him and try to signal for further explanation. Jungkook gives you what you want.

"When we first started out, I never stood up for myself. Maybe that's the coward in me, but I want to be liked. If that means bowing in the dirt, I would probably do it. Sometimes, I don't even know myself. Am I Jungkook the idol or am I Jungkook the man? I feel like I can't tell anymore. Maybe I'm always wearing a mask?" He smiles sadly as he looks at the sky, many of the stars hidden because of the city lights. The sky looked like a blanket of black.

You feel something in your heart and you can't help but grip at your chest. "Jungkook, you're Jungkook. Why can't you be both the idol and the man?" He smiles gently at you before averting his eyes back to the sky and laying back on the ground.

"That's not what the fans want. They say they want us as we are, but the more we try to act without limits, the more we realize how intrusive they are." It's quiet for a moment before you call out to Jungkook again and try to reach him in the depths of the darkness.

"Jungkook," you begin, causing his eyes to flutter open as he looks at you hovering over his face. "I-I- I mean we- need you as you are. If you feel limited, ARMY will break those limitations for you. You guys are our strength. Let us be your strength." You look into his eyes with determination that seems to glow in the night, but his look into yours with gentleness.

"You know," he props himself up on his elbows, your faces now inches apart."Besides my group, you are the first person I've wanted to protect." He kisses you and to his surprise, you don't pull away immediately. After a few moments, his hand maneuvers to hold your neck. Feeling this, you lean back, breaking the kiss. Jungkook has a blush painting his cheeks, but for some reason, you feel strangely calm.

"Sorry! I know you don't really like guys who are too forward like Jackson," he rubs the back of his neck and you watch his flustered explanation.

"Jungkook I can't be like this with you- with any of you." He looks shocked for a moment before standing up and smiling down at you, but his eyes look sad.

"I understand. Let's go back then, since we got what we came for." He offers a hand to you.