He Wasn't Having It

Erik 'Dadmonger' Stevens

The sounds of Paw Patrol filled the dim living room. Their child friendly theme song spilling from the speakers of the television. Erik laid slouched on the soft cushions of the sectional couch, propping his feet on the dark wooden coffee table in front of him. He rested an arm over his stomach, half watching the pups on television running around to save the day.

Jadaka was resting in his other arm, snuggling up to him. His little cornrows protected under his durag -that matched Erik's- and a pacifier in his mouth. The fourteen month old drifted in and out of sleep, shifting around as he fought sleep. Erik glanced down at him before checking the time on his phone. 8:30 p.m.

Bathtime then bedtime.

"You ready to take a bath, 'Daka?" The tired child didn't respond, only looking up at his father's voice. Erik grunted as he stood, stretching his free arm as he held Jadaka. "We'll go to bed after, lil man. I promise." Jadaka had been on go since seven that morning, and he only took an hour nap as a recharge.

Shutting off the television, Erik tossed the remote back onto the couch. Jadaka rested his head against Erik's chest, watching their journey to the bathroom with hooded eyes. When Erik attempted to sit him down on the closed toilet, Jadaka held him tighter. Whining softly. "Aight, aight. I won't put you down."

Erik chuckled to himself, remembering that you'd said he had the child spoiled. You were right. He smiled at the thought, reaching over to turn on the warm water. After testing the temperature, they both left the bathroom to pick out some pajamas.

"What you feelin' tonight? Spongebob?" Erik opened the drawer, revealing the neatly folded sets. "Paw patrol? PJ Masks? Mickey Mouse?" He held up the sets as he named them off. Jadaka lifted his hand, pointing to 'Chase'. "Paw patrol it is."

Erik laid out the set, along with a pull up, before going back to the bathroom. This time Jadaka allowed him to place him on the floor. His small feet touching the soft mat before the tub. He clapped happily as he seen the bubbles, looking up to a chuckling Erik.

Squatting down to help him out of his clothes, Erik let Jadaka use the potty before he put him in the tub. Jadaka sang the song you always sung to him when it was bathtime, playing with the little toys that Erik had bought him. Erik sang along to the song, washing 'Daka with the baby body wash.

When he'd finished, Jadaka stood to get the suds rinsed off of him. Before allowing Erik to scoop him up in the large dry off towel. He squealed happily as Erik tickled him, the one dimple he'd owned deepening. "It's bedtime!!" Erik sang out as he sat Jadaka in the rocking chair at his side of the room. Amari was gone with you at the moment so her bed was left unattended.

After getting his lotion rubbed in and pull up put on, Jadaka relaxed against the big rocking chair. "Gimme your arm, 'Daka." The child held out his hand, letting Erik slip on his the sleeves of his button up pajama shirt. He watched Erik button up the red buttons before held held his hands up knowingly. Waiting for Erik to pick him up again.

"You just as spoiled as your mama and big sister, I swear.." Erik grinned, letting Jadaka hug his neck. Jadaka opened his mouth for his pacifier and rested his head against Erik once he'd began chewing on it. "I'll stay in here with you until you fall asleep, aight?" Erik lowered him into the crib, feeling his little fingers tightened on his shirt.

"'Daka, I'm not going anywhere man. You gotta let me go.." Erik chuckled, trying to gently wiggle the little boy off him. He was determined to stay attached to Erik. Acting like you. Erik picked him up, trying to figure out how to get him to get in his bed. He sighed as he looked at the crib, knowing what he'd have to do.

"Make sure to quiet when you go to bed, 'Mari. Your brother should be sleep by now.." You locked the front door behind, helping Amari slip from her coat. She nodded, yawning as she walked towards her shared bedroom. You yawned as well, ready to hit the bed.

You made your way to the bedroom, expecting Erik to be in the bed watching tv. The television was on but Erik wasn't in the bed. Thinking that he was in the bathroom, you stripped from your clothes as you waited. Walking to his drawers, you pulled on one of his shirts to go with your shorts. "Mommy? Why is daddy in 'Daka's bed?"

The five year old rubbed her eyes, sleepily looking to you. You raised an eyebrow, glancing over at the bathroom door. Noticing the light wasn't on beneath the door. "He's in the crib?" Amari nodded as you approached her. She took your hand as you lead her back to her bed room. Nudging the door open, you were met with soft snores.

And there he was. His large body was folded into the crib, cradling a sleeping Jadaka on his chest. Your baby boy resting his head on the broad chest of his father. You giggled, putting baby girl to bed and kissing her forehead. "Goodnight, baby." She mumbled a goodnight mommy before she was snoring along with the duo in the crib.

They all sounded alike.

You crept over to the crib, snapping a picture to send to Shuri and Queen Mother. They'd love this. Erik shifted as you tapped his shoulder, hugging Jadaka a bit more protective. You chuckled, tapping him again. "Erik, wake up baby.." He hummed at your voice, raising his thick eyebrows before took a deep breath.

He yawned as he opened his eyes a bit. "Wassup princess. When you get back?" He rubbed over his durag, looking up at you. You smiled brighter.

"I just got back, baby. But.." You motioned to his current position. "How'd you end up like this?" He looked around like he'd forgot where he was. You watched him shift around to lay Jadaka down before he crawled out the bed.

He yawned again as he stretched. Smiling at your small smirk. "I was gonna sit in the chair until he feel asleep, but he wasn't having that."