I've Always Been

Erik Dadmonger Stevens

Light snores drifted into the air, interrupting the silence. The light of the muted television cast over the queen sized bed as well as the two bodies occupying it. Cuddled together as the bigger body spooned the curvier one. Erik had his arm thrown around your waist firmly, hugging you against him. He was unconsciously breathing in your scent as he slept. His face close to your bonnet from his slumbering shifting.

Soft mumbling came from the baby monitor, resting on his side's nightstand. Erik shifted from the hushed sounds, being that he was a light sleeper. The babbling got a bit louder before Erik let out a yawn, carefully slipping his arm from you. Leaning forward to press a kiss to your shoulder. You hummed, shifting a bit before you went back to sleep.

Rubbing his bare chest, Erik made his way to the bathroom. Using the bathroom, washing his face, and brushing his teeth. He flashed his teeth at the mirror, checking over his pearly whites before he was satisfied. Wiping his mouth on his face drying towel, he placed it on the counter and left to the room across the hall.

As soon as he opened the door, Amari's babbling greeted him. She sat up in her crib, playing with a stuffed animal that was almost as big as her. "Morning, 'Mari." Her big eyes looked up at his voice. A semi-toothy smile appearing at the sight of her father. She crawled to the railing, pulling herself up as she looked at him through the bars. Babbling loudly as she danced.

Erik chuckled, lifting her from the crib with a smirk. "What you doing up this early, princess?" He walked over to the changing table. Using a free hand to take out a diaper. Amari babbled, playing with one of Erik's dreads as he played along with her talking. "Oh word? That's wild."

The one year old smiled as he laid her down. Changing her diaper had became easier for him, and he was thankful. Amari was a bit of a kicker and he'd gotten his jaw tapped a few times before he learned to distract her with conversation. Once he'd gotten her pamper on, he scooped her up and they made their way to the kitchen.

"What you feelin' today, princess? Music or no music?" He got her into her high chair, making sure she was straight. Amari started her mushed talking, holding a hand in the air as she spoke. "Music it is, baby girl."

He set up his speaker, shuffling his music before he began to make her breakfast. Some type of baby cereal she really seemed to like. Amine's Caroline filled the air and Amari smiled big, putting both her little hands in the air as she danced to the intro. Just like you'd do when a song you liked came on. Erik laughed out, picking up the bowl of food.

"What you know about this, lil mama?" He got her a bib, placing it on before he picked up her bowl. She babbled, dancing in her seat as the beat came in. And he joined her, playfully poking her belly as he danced. "..Oh my God. That's my baby.."

He turned to pick up her bowl, censoring the curse words and explicit puns. "Killaaaa. West side nigga.." Feeding her a few occasional spoonfuls, he hummed the words as he jigged gently. Not wanting to spill the food. "Baby I want forever. Caroline! Can't you see that, I want you to be mine!!"

Amari giggled as Erik danced to the music, her little arms in the air as she tried to copy him. The next song spilled from the speaker and she clapped happily. Bruno Mars' Chunky filled the air and Erik immediately went into a little two step. He'd heard you play this song a few times before and he kind of liked it. Apparently Amari did too, her voice singing the song as best she could.

"If you ain't here to party, take yo butt back home. If you getting naughty baby here's my phone. Slide wit ya boy to the bar, slide wit ya boy car." Erik slid across the floor, making Amari clap with excitement. Before he stopped to feed her again. "I been searching everywhere and now here you areee!! Chunky!!"

The next song filled the air when the bowl was close to being empty. The intro to Keyshia Cole's Love played aloud, and Erik cleared his throat as he fed a spoon of cereal to Amari. This was both your song and his, thanks to you. He'd found himself mumbling it when it played from your phone on occasion after all the times you'd played it with him around.

Amari had finished off the cereal as the bridge came on and Erik sat the empty bowl down as he sang. A bit off key, but confidently all the same. You made your way into the kitchen, catching him in the height of his performance. He'd held his hand to his chest, singing to Amari as she watched him happily. Clapping when he did a little spin, and reaching a hand to him when he leaned forward to kiss her forehead.

"Who would have known... I FOUND YOU!! OooOoooOooOo!!" He sung out, doing an R&B dance move as he tired to harmonize with the music. You stopped yourself from cackling at his foolishness, turning down the music to catch his attention. He looked over to the speaker, smiling when he seen you standing there in his shirt.

You smirked, folding your arms as you looked at him. Making your way to him. "So you're in love?" Giving Amari a kiss on the forehead, you slipped her out of the high chair. She played with the golden necklace that contrasted against your brown skin, her little finger touching the fancy E that dangled from it.

Erik smiled all goofy, pulling you to him. He wrapped his hands around both of you, hugging just enough that he didn't squish Amari between you. His lips pressed a kiss to her cheek before he kissed your forehead, mumbling against it as he spoke. "I've always been in love."