3: Hospitals

Edited/re-written on 28/09/23

TW: Discrimination

"Stop acting like such a predictable and normal kid." Corazon's voice called out to you. You were once again trying to run away again.

Why?

Time had passed as it had now been a couple of weeks since you had meet Corazon and his older brother. Nothing much changed in that time, you came out of your room a little more while Corazon seemed to stay in his room longer than you.

It was roughly a week ago that Corazon grabbed some camping supplies, his wallet and a camera. He then spoke about how he was going to find a cure for your disease.

During that week, you had travelled around the country and visited different hospitals. If you thought that the children's glare at the orphanage was bad, well you were wrong. Adults glares and words were much harsher than little kids. Their eyes burnt holes through your head, while their words struck at your heart with the sharpest blades.

In many of the hospitals that you had visited, they didn't even let you see a doctor before the receptionist screamed bloody murder and told you to leave while threatening to call for some heroes.

So here you were, a week into your journey, and you were once again trying to run away.

Having enough of your games, Corazon was quick to grab the back of your collar and lift you up. He was wearing his glasses which had a white rim and navy blue lenses. Once again the mall male was smoking.

In his other hand, he held a pile of papers which showed a ton of hospitals with good reviews. He was determined to find this cure.

"I am a kid, I'm four. So that makes me a kid." You scowled at the smoking man, why was he so determined to cure you? Any other normal person would have given up or just not even begin to start.

"You're no normal kid, and you know that. I'm going to cure your disease, even if it means going to every single hospital in the world." The man blew smoke out of his mouth as he spoke.

No. You don't want to go to every hospital in the world, you don't even want to go to hospital, never again. Never! The glares they send you, nowhere to place you back as they inspect you. Nowhere to hide as they make snide remarks about you. No place to shield you from the glares or screams of the so called 'adults'.

"Look! It's a big hospital, they'll cure you!" Corazon broke you out of your trance as he smiled up at the big hospital, you shook in his hold trying to get away.

-

"T-The White Lead Disease?!?!" The doctor screeched as he took a step away from you, as if you were the devil incarnate himself. The nurse who was with him grabbed his shoulder to stabilize herself, though both her and the doctor were shaking like wet rats.

You were sitting on the stool that most patients would be when they were getting cheeked by the doctor. But this doctor didn't even need to cheek you before he diagnosed the disease.

Corazon, who sat behind you started talking to the doctor and nurse. "It's been around for a while doc. Don't you have any good medicine for it?"

The doctor ignored Corazons question and looked at you once more, terror filled his eyes once more as he shuffled the tiniest bit closer to you. "Excuse, b-b-but did your parents have it?"

Avoiding eye contact with the doctor, you glanced at the door that was so close yet so far away from you. Mumbling out a meek yes was all it took before the doctor and nurse duo screamed for help, they held each other in their arms as they shuffled far away from you.