Meet Saoirse Marie

Interviewer: mikaelkrownmk

Another fantasy author is SaoiMarie. She's the author of the book The Rider's Legend

Deeply evocative of time and place, The Rider's Legend subtly blends fact and fiction to paint the portrait of an extraordinary woman in an era of great social and cultural change. Saoirse Marie took time out of her hectic schedule to speak to the Fantasy team about her book series, her inspirations, and what advice she would give to aspiring writers. 

Here's what she's to say.

How long have you been writing?

I have been writing short stories since I was little - my first was a story about a magical horse named Apple! But I've been writing officially on Wattpad since I was about fifteen. I am 23 now and it feels like an age since I threw up my first chapter with no concept of direction or plot or what would happen with my characters. I've gotten a little more organized since then.

How do you deal with writer's block?

It's a problem I run into often. Usually, my best solution is to go away and do something else - like go for a walk, go to the gym and I usually can work around the block. Sometimes, I listen to the soundtracks I have made for specific parts of the book and that helps.

What's your favorite quote?

I love the quote from TLOR ' "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." – Galadriel. It's probably overused now, but I like the idea that my little good deeds make ripples in the water somewhere.

What's your favorite fantasy story on Wattpad?

Such a hard question! The story I always find myself coming back to is 'Hunted' by WriterKellie. It is intriguing and different and the main character is as tough as nails and viciously clever. Just when I think I know where the story is going, it yanks me in another direction. I love it!

Do you plan as your write or plan before writing?

I definitely plan as I go. I have a general over-arching direction, but the nuances of what happens after that depends on how my writing is going at the moment.

A city or country you'd like to visit?

I would love to go to Iceland. I have always dreamed about going - to see the Northern lights, to see their monuments and attractions. I am terrible in the cold weather, but I would grin and bear it just for the honor of seeing Iceland.

How do you relax after a long day?

First thing - Tea. A big mug of tea and maybe some chocolate. I will either read a book or if my brain is too tired, I will turn on some reality tv. programme that I'm hooked on at the time. (The British Bakeoff is an old reliable)

Beaches or Mountains?

I live only fifteen minutes from the sea, so beaches for definite! I couldn't imagine having to travel to visit the sea. Irish beaches aren't as warm as the beaches I would visit on holidays, but I'd often take a dip in the cold sea late into winter.

Boat or plane?

I don't really like either of them. Boats are too slow. Planes are too cramped. If I had to pick, I would pick a boat.

Can you tell us about what you're currently writing?

I am currently finishing my four-book Riders of Valaxia' series following Dragon Rider Neely Lynch and her dragon Nethore. I am writing the second book in my 'Forged' Series, which follows a Half-Blood Elf determined to get retribution for her murdered kin, so she rouses an army in order to do it. I am also working on the outline for my 'Crimson Series', a fantasy trilogy about a magic wielder on the run from an oppresive Empire and murderous soldiers. I have a lot of projects to juggle at the moment, but when a story forms, I have to write.

What would you like to tell up and coming writers out there?

I would like to say that over time, I have come to appreciate the work and dedication it takes to write a story and carry it through to the end (having never completed a series, I applaud anyone who has.) Appreciate your supporters, but never compromise your story's integrity to keep people happy. I think everyone's story deserves to be heard/ written, so keep writing because there will always be someone out there to appreciate it.

Thank you SaoiMarie for your time spent answering these questions.