Meet R.F. Nasua

We've got another awesome Fantasy author for you today. Hailing from the Philippines, please welcome, RFNasua , and let's hear what they've got to say.

What is your country of origin?

Philippines

What other languages aside from English can you speak fluently?

Tagalog

Are you writing under a pseudonym? Is there a story as to how and why you came up with it? Please tell us about it!

R.F. Nasua is an anagram of my real name. I sign all my creative works, including my sketches and paintings, under this name.

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer? Why do you want to be a writer?

Ironically enough, I was inspired to be a writer after reading a badly written web novel. Despite the glaring issues in said work, I was still able to enjoy it immensely. Writing a whole book seemed impossible before, but reading that novel made me realize that writing does not have to be perfect in order to be enjoyable. Thinking I could probably make a better novel that my readers and I could enjoy, I took the risk and started writing. I was able to finish the first book on Wattpad, and I still could not believe up to this day that I was able to write that much.

Please tell us about your story/ies on Wattpad so that readers could find them.

The first book I was able to write and finish is Lady Reaper Reianne. I wrote it after I have finished my stash of novels, and could not find other stories from my favorite genre-- gender bender, humor, strong female leads, action. Since I could not find anything else to read, I wrote a book with all my favorites elements thrown in. This one starts out light and funny and gradually descends into madness and chaos. If you do read this, be sure to check the special chapter I made for Christmas, published in a separate book entitled "The Fight Before Christmas." It's a 2,000-word poem and I could not believe I was able to write that. Lady Reaper Reianne is actually the first in a series of books. The second one is House D'Lon, which is still unfinished.

My other unfinished books are Project Nyx, which is my attempt at dark romance. It is set in the same universe as Lady Reaper Reianne but features another heroine.

For you, what is the importance of having a process in writing? Do you have a process? If so, please tell us about it. If not, why?

When I first started writing, I have no idea about the rules or techniques of story-telling. The Wattpad community helped me learn these, though. As for the process I cultivated, it always starts with generating a theme and a plot outline for the whole story, which will be the backbone of the story. After that, I break down the events in chapters. I am notorious at ending at cliffhangers, hence, planning the events in a chapter is a must.

Every chapter has its own theme. I usually listen to a single song on repeat so the "mood" of the chapter stays the same all throughout. These songs usually end up in the chapters as well.

What makes for an appealing character in Fantasy stories? Why?

Unpredictability with a dash of humor. Especially since it's fantasy. The world is literally yours to build, so your character can be as creative as they want when reacting to events. Also, humor captures the readers' attention. A witty character is a fan favorite most of the time.

How do you come up with the plot of your stories?

I...day dream a lot. Hehe.

Share some interesting facts about the magic system you have developed in your stories.

The main character in Lady Reaper Reianne absorbs energy from living things. According to her, she can "taste" the energy and it isn't always palatable.

Out of all the genres, why fantasy?

Fantasy is the greatest escape there is. As a reader and as a writer, fantasy opens up a lot of worlds with infinite possibilities. As a writer, it's thrilling to put into something concrete that world which only exists in my mind, and share it with others.

What do you think is the most alluring subgenre of fantasy?

Magical Realism, because it combines the real world with fantasy. The magic system is created in such a way that it can co-exist with the laws of the natural world, and lends "credibility" to the magic system such that maybe, just maybeee...it's real.

How do you manage criticism?

I have learned to choose which criticism is good for me and my work, and which is not. Writing is a creative work, and creative works are highly subjective. I welcome all kinds of criticisms, though. I am fairly thick skinned. They do not bother me.

What do you wish to get out of your journey as a writer?

I want to be able to publish at least one book in my lifetime.

Share your favorite songs to listen to while writing.

Anything from Imagine Dragons and Of Monsters and Men will do for me.

Share something unordinary about yourself.

I can write better when I am sitting crossed-legs.

Share some beautiful words in your native language and their meaning.

My favorite word is "Padayon." It means to continue moving forward.

Share one delicacy from your country that everyone should try.

Mango. Philippine mango is built different. TRY IT.

Share one thing your country is known for.

Beaches! Be sure to visit El Nido or Boracay. The beaches are stunning.

Share your travel destination wishlist and why you wanted to go there.

My favorite place to go is Japan and Korea because of their food!

Share one reader comment that changed your life.

I am blessed with a lot of active readers, many of whom I am friends with. Their collective support changed my life and it would have been impossible to finish my first book without them.

Share your other hobbies.

Aside from writing, I also draw. But lately, I have been travelling a lot for leisure.

And there you have it. We hope you enjoyed this interview with RFNasua. To check out their works visit these links:

Lady Reaper Reianne
House D'Lon
The Fight Before Christmas
Project Nyx

Catch us next time as we bring on another amazing Fantasy author. Till then, have a magical week ahead.