Meet Spencer Sinclair

This amazing Fantasy writer started reading at age seven and you wouldn't believe the book she picked and what her expectation from it was. Please welcome iamspencerlily.

What is your Wattpad username?

iamspencerlily

Is there a story to how you got your username? Tell us about it!

It's just my first name and middle name, nothing terribly interesting.

What or Who inspired you to write?

I was seven years old when I picked up Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. For some reason, despite having read a lot, this book really resonated with me. The seven year old delusion kicked in and I was convinced that I was getting a Hogwarts letter when I turned eleven. When that didn't happen, I realized that J.K. Rowling wasn't a biographer but a fiction author.
Eleven year old me became determined to write a fiction novel that was so well done, J.K. Rowling would read it and think it really happened and then I could crush her spirit by revealing it was fake all along. Now, I just write because I like it but the origins were petty.

Share a favorite quote with us!

"Come on and jump, well, I dare you." — The Regrettes

Can you describe your perfect writing area?

There's a cafe in Seoul right behind the HYBE building. One wall is a window that opens all the way so you can be half outside half inside. It's a semi-quiet area so I think it's perfect.

Describe Fantasy as a genre in your own words.

Fantasy is a genre where things can exist simply because you thought of it. Magic is the rule of the land and anything is possible.

Please tell us about your story/stories on Wattpad so that our readers can discover your works.

My story is Dream Weaver. It's sort of like The Selection meets Avatar: The Last Airbender

What's your favorite Fantasy book/books on Wattpad?

Given by Nandi Taylor. Of Caverns and Casters by avadel.

What Fantasy sub-genre do you prefer to write?

I love historical fantasy as well as urban fantasy/magical realism because it grounds me a bit.

What does your writing process look like? Are there steps you follow in terms of working on your projects?

I have to see everything like a movie first. Screenwriting classes and understanding how movies are put together has actually helped me tremendously in my novel writing. I have to visualize the entire "movie" with all the angles and cut scenes so I spend about one day to one week doing that. Then it's time to write.
I prefer to write in chronological order but I keep a separate google doc to write out-of-order scenes in. I like to people watch so I try to write in public spaces if possible. If there is a specific show or movie or person that inspires the writing then I will put that on in a separate window so I can continuously get inspiration as I work.
The last step is acting out dialogue which can look very embarrassing in public but worth it. It helps with natural flow of dialogue.  

What is/are your favorite type/s of characters to write? Why?

Well, first, I always write brown and black girls as the main character. I would have loved more books growing up with brown and black girls at the forefront of a story. And it's important that the stories aren't always about race but just about existing.
After that, my favorite characters to write are soft ones. I love princesses with swords but they always have to be "I'm not like other girls" and be badasses. I prefer to blend both worlds. So my favorite characters do badass things but in dresses and makeup. If they aren't fighting then they're dancing. I am a sucker for soft characters.