Meet Leah Lang

Interviewer: mikaelkrownmk

Hello everyone, meet flowersforleah. A Chinese-American, an awesome Fantasy author and you won't believe what her favorite food is! Let's hear it from her, shall we?

What's your name and tell us a little about yourself?

Hello, I’m Leah Lang, a Chinese American into many books, from Wattpad hidden gems to basically any genre alive. I like variety in my books, like my music, which is a blend of all my friends. My hobby is to go to basically any restaurant as long as it won’t break my wallet. My worst skill is online shopping so thanks to Covid I’ve been saving money.

Who inspires you to write?

Books and movies inspire me to write because they give you something and you take something from it, an idea forms, you jot it down, then in the blink of an eye it’s a story. Sometimes it’s a character who I need to give a different ending to, sometimes it’s a plot you just want to tweak, sometimes you think “oh, what if she was a guy instead” or “what if it happened in a fantasy world”?

What's your favorite quote?

You are inspired by the millions of names we don’t really look at during ending credits and I think that’s the coolest thing. Strangers giving strangers presents. “Weeds are flowers too once you get to know them.” —A.A. Milne.

Can you describe your perfect writing area?

I think my strength in writing is in the details. Going back and rereading my chapters make me happy because readers notice seemingly irrelevant things that’ll mean something in later chapters.

How do you come up with names of your characters?

For my first book I knew the names, it came to me like most of the story. For my second, The House of Beardsley, I had to think for around a few days before filling them into the finished draft. I play around with it, and as an old-fashioned person I will stick with Victorian English-esque names for novels set in the West. For the Eastern names in Priestess of the Moon I had most fun because I had to find the characters for their names and all of them explained it as self introduction, which I found really cute.

Define Fantasy in your own words?

Fantasy is anything that is not possible, so in a sense I consider utopian and dystopians a close relative. It’s special because there’s different worlds and characters can be burdened by something or also blessed with something that others cannot. Magic and fates are fun to play with.

What's your favorite Fantasy book on Wattpad?

My first fantasy book was Twice Born and it had a huge impact on my writing style on Wattpad.

What Fantasy sub-genre is easier for you to write?

My favorite sub genre would be medieval fairy-tale rewrites. It can be changed in infinite ways and even set in different countries.

Are you a planner or a pantser?

I’m a planner, especially for mysteries like Duke of Camellias, which I finished writing and took all my brain cells away.

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

Introvert. I hope more people start conversations with me—I’m not intimidating at all!

Favorite food?

Sweet desserts.

Favorite colour?

Red.

Most used app?

Spotify.

A country or city you'd like to visit?

England.

How do you relax after a long day?

I sketch while drinking milk tea.

Who's your role model?

My role model would be Hayao Miyazaki.

Read the book or watch the movie?

Read the book.

Summer or Winter?

Summer.

Pop or R&B?

R&B.

Can you tell us what you're currently writing?

My current work is called “Butterflies in The Castle” in which Margery, a vampire used by her clan tries to escape when a group of human male researchers come. It’s filled with deception on both teams, bisexuality, and most of all, a strong female lead who decides her choices for herself. Her love interests, fellow vampire Sabine, and mysterious human Uriel, have different goals in mind and Margery has to play mind games to get what she wants: to leave her accursed vampire clan.

And there you have it flowersforleah has spoken. Thank you for your time spent on this interview. Catch us next time as we bring on another amazing Fantasy author. Till then, have a magical week ahead.