Meet S. J. Moquin

Interviewer: mikaelkrownmk

She's a mom of seven beautiful children of whom she gets her inspirations from. Creating words and filling them with life to take her readers to the world of fantasy, we've got with us, Squeaks7 on the hot seat today, to tell us how she does it. Let's hear it from her.

What's your name and tell us a little about yourself?

My name is SJ Moquin and I'm a mom of 7. I have 4 Morkie puppies who have surprised me the most about myself as I was never an animal person prior to owning them. I write mostly YA/NA fantasy, a bit of YA sci-fi, and YA contemporary all with a dash of romance.

What or who inspires you to write?

Hands down, my kids have been my biggest inspirations as I progress on my writing journey. I want to write stories that fuel the imagination and love of reading like the ones I read when I was younger.

What do you think makes a successful book?

What makes a successful book? Characters that readers love. I want to write characters that people will remember and love long after the book is over. Other than that, success is subjective and based on what each author wants for themselves. What may feel successful to some won't be for others and vice-versa.

What's your favorite quote?

“To the people who look at the stars and wish.” “To the stars who listen— and the dreams that are answered.” ― Sarah J. Maas, A Court of Mist and Fury.

Define Fantasy in your own words?

Fantasy is dreaming with words; living in other worlds, places, and times without ever leaving home. To me, fantasy is escaping into unknown worlds within the pages of a book whether it's from High Fantasy with Fae, Elves, and Magic or Urban Fantasy that hides within our world.

Are you a planner or a Pantser?

I'm a bit of both. I do plan the characters, settings, and have an idea of the beginning and end of the story before starting to write. But I definitely pants it when writing and love to see where the characters will take me.

Who's your OTP?

My OTP... that's easy. Feyre and Rhysand, of course. I'm a SJM fan through and through.

Who's your favorite fantasy author?

I think I answered this in the previous question. Haha! Sarah J. Maas and her fantasy worlds hold top place in my heart. <3

Pet peeves?

Pet Peeves... um... I can't stand clutter so throwing things down when you can put them away is my biggest pet peeve (and having 7 kids, I get tested on this daily). =D

Most used app?

Instagram.

A city or country you'd like to visit?

Ireland and Scotland are on my bucket list. Both Hubs and my family lines hail from there so I'd love to visit.

What's the first book you read on Wattpad?

I can't remember the exact first book I read as it has been a while, but the one that stands out is The Dark Prince by @LaDameBlanche =)

Read the book or watch the movie?

Ugh! This is hard. I have to say read the book because 90% of the time the book is always better than the movie. But then, there are a few movies I've enjoyed just as much or better than their books.

Kittens or puppies?

PUPPIES! As I mentioned above, I was never an animal person seeing as I have severe allergies to anything with fur. Finally after years of begging, I gave into Hubs and the kids wanting a dog under the condition that it be hypo-allergenic. We found the most adorable Morkie and 8 months later adopted her companion. We've had them 2 years now and they just recently had 2 puppies who are total, adorable fur balls. <3

Can you tell us what you're currently writing?

I'm currently working on the 4th book to my Urban Fantasy series Bloodlines, Guarded, which will wrap up the series for the time being (I may revisit it later because there is an infinite world of possibilities in this series). I am also working on my first venture away from Fantasy entitled, A Million Little Moments, which is proving more rewarding than I thought possible for a book that doesn't have magic in it. =D

And there you have it, Squeaks7 has spoken. Thank you so much for your time spent on this interview.