Meet Stef

We've got another awesome Fantasy author for you today. She's Romanian, and has been writing stories ever since she was ten! Please welcome, Wimbug and let's hear what she's got to say.

What is your country of origin?

Romania

What other languages aside from English can you speak fluently?
Romanian and a bit of Spanish.

Are you writing under a pseudonym? Is there a story as to how and why you came up with it? Please tell us about it!
I am writing under a pen name. It's pretty similar to my real life name, but I adapted it to an international audience. It also sounds fairly fancy, lol

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer? Why do you want to be a writer?
I found my passion for writing when I was reading in Wattpad as usual. I realized that the people who were writing the books I read were regular peeps just like anyone else, including me.

Please tell us about your story/ies on Wattpad so that readers could find them.
Wow, that's a lot to say. I write in many genres (fantasy being one of the newer ones). My biggest project on Wattpad is definitely my Jewel Project series which comprises seven books and two prequels (one of which is my most popular story, Right in Front of You). I've also written thriller (TMI who won a Watty) and am currently dabling into fantasy (with Hearts of Stone, a Beauty and the Beast retelling, and its sequel, Hearts of Stone). I also have some paranormal works on there. Loads of books to choose from, lol.

For you, what is the importance of having a process in writing? Do you have a process? If so, please tell us about it. If not, why?

I can't say I have a proper process for writing. What I do is just develop and plan inside my head before putting it to paper. Of course, the final product changes a fair amount, but the main idea is there. When something doesn't work... Well, back to the drawing board and loads of thinking, lol.

What makes for an appealing character in Fantasy stories? Why?

I don't think fantasy characters have different rules than any other characters, really. An appealing character must have an appealing conflict, whether it is an inner or an outer conflict
Of course, fantasy has the advantage if creating more interesting such conflicts and higher stakes. And there are hardly any limits for that.

How do you come up with the plot of your stories?

If only I could answer that, lol. The spark can be anything. A lyric from a song, a discussion with friends, even an image that recalls a feeling. I usually go off that and build around it. I'm also very particular to twisting things that have been done before and doing it better.

Share some interesting facts about the magic system you have developed in your stories.

Ah, the magic. Well, in my fantasy series, magic is forbidden. Lent to men by fairies, it was used in all the wrong ways, so humans are now very afraid of magic. As a result, no one actually knows how it works, just that it consumes people. But, as a general rule, one can learn to use it and wield it in accordance with their own abilities.
Then there are curses which force magic to behave a certain way. Those are not pleasant at all.

Out of all the genres, why fantasy?

Well, this is something new for me. What I love about it is the freedom to build my own world with its own system, politics, creatures and room for conflict, drama and adventure.

What do you think is the most alluring subgenre of fantasy?

I'm very fond of fantasy adventure with a political drive. Twisted court drama is my cup of tea.

How do you manage criticism?

I usually take a step back and try to analyze if it contains any element which I can use to improve my craft. Pure negativity I just ignore.

What are some tips you can share to help new and old fantasy writers alike?

My most important tip is to keep writing until you finish a first draft of the book. No matter how terrible it is, that first draft will definitely help you realize where you want to take the story and what can be improved. Details and themes can be added in the second draft.

Share some sneak peek on your future projects.

Well, what I can say is that my fantasy series will be having a third installment. So there will be another book in the series. Also, the current one has pirates! So that should be fun. And maybe a bit of a twist to leave everyone scratch their heads.

What do you wish to get out of your journey as a writer?

I'm hoping to get published. I know I still have work to do, but I'm also hoping I'll build upon something that people will really enjoy reading.

Share your favorite songs to listen to while writing.

It really depends on the book I'm writing, really. I actually have Playlists for most of my projects. I just know there's going to be some soul crushing pop and hard rock in there.

Share some fantasy stories that you wish had more books.

I rather enjoyed the Cursbreaker series and it was left with a definite potential for more books (which I hear might be coming), but I'm a little iffy because I feel it could've been better executed in the end. So I don't think I have any of those.

Share interesting titles of media (drama, TV Shows, graphic novels, webtoons etc.) that everyone should try watching/reading.

Last thing I watched and enjoyed was the Reacher series on Amazon. It was fun and I enjoyed the plot and characters. Rather than that, I recently read One of Us is Lying and watched the series. It was fun. Currently doing The Witcher though I must say I enjoy the show more than the books.

Share your favorite dish and what makes it your favorite.

Food. So hard to chose. I'd have to go with Italian. It's just amazing.

Share some of the fandoms you follow.

Surprisingly, I'm not very fandomy. But I am a walking encyclopedia of Harry Potter facts.

Share something unordinary about yourself.

I may know a lot of random details about a lot of random stuff. International space station layout? Sure. Random bits of Egyptian history? You got me. World War II stuff? Sure. Life in the English courts? Why not? How industrial freezers work? Yeah, I know that too.

Share one delicacy from your country that everyone should try.

I'll have to say our traditional food isn't that well known, but we make a mean lamb Borsch.

Share one thing your country is known for.

Dracula, lol

Share your travel destination wishlist and why you wanted to go there.

Japan. Or somewhere deep down in Africa. I just love culture shock and I've seen most of Europe.

Share one reader comment that changed your life.

There are many comments I hold dear. But it's mainly the ones that show love towards the characters I've worked so hard building.

Share your other hobbies.

I love music. And visual arts. So if I'm not writing, you'll probably find me listening to music, watching movies, coloring or staring at anesthetics.

And there you have it, we hope you enjoyed this interview with Wimbug. To check out their works visit these links:

Right in Front of You
Hearts of Stone
TMI
Too Young (The Jewel Project #1)

Catch us next time as we bring on another amazing Fantasy author. Till then, have a magical week ahead.