Meet Tessa

We've got another awesome Fantasy author for you today. Hailing from Belgium, please welcome, TessaTuring, and let's hear what they've got to say.

What is your country of origin?

Belgium

What other languages aside from English can you speak fluently?

Dutch

Are you writing under a pseudonym? Is there a story as to how and why you came up with it? Please tell us about it!

I do write under a pseudonym! My first name is inspired by Tessa Gray, the warlock in "The Infernal Devices" book series, my all-time favourite Fantasy series. I stole my last name from Alan Turing, about whom I am currently writing a historical fiction novel. Both hold a special place in my heart, and to be honest, I am a sucker for alliterations.

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer? Why do you want to be a writer?

Like so many other Wattpadders, I started out writing Fanfiction. I had, and still have, so many story ideas swirling in my head which I just wanted to put on paper. Yet I never thought I would be able to push through and complete a story, but I did and it's the best feeling ever.

Please tell us about your story/ies on Wattpad so that readers could find them.

So far I only have one story published, namely "The Iron [Crown]", which started out as a combination between Fantasy and a Fanfiction about the shadowhunter series. I tried to place the shadowhunterworld, which I was so familiar with, into my own environment: Antwerp. The idea of this old city and all its magical hidden secrets waiting to be revealed, made me want to write this story

What makes for an appealing character in Fantasy stories? Why?

Diversity! This can be about race/sexuality/gender/disabilities, but also diversity between the characters themselves. Make the main [characters] have [completely] opposite personalities. Conflicts [guaranteed].

Out of all the genres, why fantasy?

Fantasy has always been my favourite genre to read. I think I like writing Fantasy because, as long as you can imagine it, everything is possible.

What do you think is the most alluring subgenre of fantasy?

I absolutely love reading High Fantasy, being introduced into a whole new world. [Frankly] I've only written Low Fantasy stories so far, but I'm thinking about changing that.

Share some sneak peek on your future projects.

I am working on a new Fantasy story. And with "working", I mean creating the cover and putting off plotting. The story will be based on an old town legend, shared among two kingdoms at war.

What do you wish to get out of your journey as a writer?

Make my readers smile. Or cry, for that matter.

Share your favorite songs to listen to while writing.

I always make a playlist for each story. These are some songs for my future project: "The Tradition" by Halsey, "fever dream" by mxmtoon and "Warriors" by Imagine Dragons.

Share some fantasy stories that you wish had more books.

"The Last Hours" by Cassandra Clare and the "Girls of Paper and Fire" series by Natasha Ngan.

Share interesting titles of media (drama, TV Shows, graphic novels, webtoons etc.) that everyone should try watching/reading.

She-Ra and Arcane!

Share something unordinary about yourself.

Maybe it is due to reading The Hunger Games, but I got into archery some years ago and I am loving it. Furthermore, no clue if this is unordinary, but I like maths.

Share some beautiful words in your native language and their meaning.

Lieveheersbeestje, which means as much as lovable gentleman bug, or ladybug if you like. I also love the word "smakelijk", which I can only translate as "enjoy your meal".

Share one delicacy from your country that everyone should try.

My love and joy, homemade fries and "pralines" or chocolate!

Share your travel destination wishlist and why you wanted to go there.

I'm not a big traveller, but I would love to pay a visit to my Wattpad friends in Canada and the Philippines.

Share one reader comment that changed your life.

"Because of the cucumber, not the shampoo...". I'm kidding. All the comments from Waterbender_poet really made my day every single time!

And there you have it. We hope you enjoyed this interview with TessaTuring. To check out their work visit this link:

The Iron Crown

Catch us next time as we bring on another amazing Fantasy author. Till then, have a magical week ahead.