Meet Fareedah Agberemi

Interviewer: mikaelkrownmk

Our next fantasy author is cupofsass. She's the author of The girl and the Curse. 

If you love the idea of curses and journey beyond time and dangers, about a girl who can move heaven and earth for her sister, then you are going to want to huddle around the Fantasy Authors interview book today - because we have an exciting and special guest visiting us today. Here's what she has to say.

What's your name and tell us a little about yourself?

My name is Fareedah Agberemi and I consider myself someone who dabbles in the arts. I write with a recent niche in futuristics. I draw sometimes and write a lot of poetry. I also love most things in grey and black.

What or who inspires you to write?

Myself. I've always wanted to read stories that showed me to be more than the basics of my identity. I wanted stories that showed Muslim girls, Nigerian girls, black girls doing amazing things.

What's your writing process?

I mostly use the four act structure. It works like this : You decide on a possible word count for your story-- this could be based on the word counts for stories typically in your genre. You divide that into four and try to make sure each act of your story is exactly the amount of words you got.

So, a forty thousand word story will have each act written in ten thousand words. In each of these acts, you give your character(s) a goal that would also drive your plot. Since this technique is mostly character driven, you could incorporate the plot clock to figure out your story. See below for the skeleton outline of our forty thousand words story.

ACT 1(10,000): introduction of main characters, introduction to characters setting or situation, inciting incident.

ACT 2 (10,000): introduction of main characters to new environment or setting, main characters trying to adapt to this situation while also still trying to go after their goal, meeting of possible mentors or discovery of aid in reaching their goals.

ACT 3 (10K): Disaster, disaster, disaster. More disaster. Your character is beginning to break down more strongly. Things seem like they're only getting worse even though your character is closer to their goals. Darkest night for the characters-- a point of no return. .

ACT 4: Your characters' final battle. Lose or win. And then the aftermath of said battle.

What's your favorite quote?

My favourite quote is from Rekiya and Z, a book by Muti'ah Badrudeen following two Muslim women in modern Nigeria.

Define Fantasy in your own words?

Fantasy to me is a genre that covers stories detailing our experiences in a world that either makes them easier to go through or worse to go through.

What's your favourite fantasy book on wattpad?

This is a question that cracks me up. But I'd say the Bereft series by @RenTachibana. To be honest, I love everything Ten has ever written. She's amazing.

Fantasy or Horror?

Fantasy.

Introvert or extrovert?

Introvert. There's always an exhausting factor to human interaction.

Favorite food?

I like plantain in any of its form and would combine it with all my dishes if I could. Sometimes I take it as a main meal with fried eggs.

Pet peeves?

A character who supposedly is from Africa but talks like Africa is a country. When I see those kind of characters, it turns me off a story. Fast. Toxic relationships portrayed as the norm in books. XX

Most used app?

Most used app is Twitter. I'm always on it when I'm supposed to be writing. *insert sad face*

What TV shows are you obsessed with right now?

I don't really watch TV. Let alone the shows.

A city or country you'd like to visit?

I'd love to visit Qatar. I've heard a lot of good things about the place and would one day love to travel there. Finland too.

Read the book or watch the movie?

Read the book. Always.

Badboy stories or billionaire stories?

I have to pick? I'm not partial to any but I'd take billionaire stories. They're a little tolerable I believe.

Spring or Autumn?

That'd be hard to pick because I've never experienced either but from what I've seen, I'd say autumn. Any excuse to layer my clothes.

Thank you for your time cupofsass and response on this interview.