Meet Salem Keating

Interviewer: mikaelkrownmk

Are you a fan of salemkeating and their award-winning work, The Dreamers? Then this interview is definitely worth your time! Learn about their favorite writing area and favorite food exclusively in this interview.

What's your full name and tell us a little about yourself?

Salem Keating is a pen name I chose, with Keating being a little nod to Dead Poet's Society's Mr. Keating (a great movie, I recommend you watch it if you haven't). I'm a computer science student who enjoys writing and drawing on the side.

Describe your perfect writing area?

Warm and comfy, soft instrumental music in the background, a nice cup of hot chocolate nearby. And snacks. Oh, and my cat, so long as she isn't trying to sit on my keyboard.

How long have you been writing?

I'd say cumulatively, not very long — I've been on Wattpad since 2014, but went on several long hiatuses. I tend to write for a few months then get swamped with school or work.

Can you tell us what you're currently writing?

I've currently got three projects that I really enjoy, though the one I've been focusing on lately is an urban fantasy story which I've tied in with the criminal underworld. I'm throwing in a whole bunch of things and I hope it'll be something unique and fun to read.

Define Fantasy in your own words?

I tend to associate fantasy with magic, as I really love those sorts of stories. Fantasy on a broader scale, though, is a world which is fictional (but not necessarily in a different world from ours) and awe-inspiring and I can get lost in the story.

Who's your OTP?

Oh no, don't make me pick!!! I guess right now it's a toss up between Jude & Cardan (from The Cruel Prince by Holly Black) or Ronan & Adam (from The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater).

Who's your favorite fantasy writer?

Patrick Rothfuss. I love his book The Name of the Wind and I'm still waiting for the final installment of the series.

Favorite food?

Ramen!!!! And sushi. I'm a big sucker for Japanese food. Also bubble tea!!

How do you relax after a long day?

I tend to alternate between either reading, playing piano, and gaming a bit on my phone.

Celebrity you'd love meet?

I won't lie, I'm not very savvy of celebrities, but .... Ryan Reynolds? He seems like a funny guy, lol, humour's a good thing.

Romance or Mystery?

Mystery, probably. I do like a dash of romance but I can't ignore the Sherlockian allure of mystery.

Pop or R&B?

Pop, but honestly I don't listen to much of either. I'm a classical music sort of person. Debussy for the win.

Read the book or watch the movie?

Read the book!!!! The books are just always far better in my opinion. I'll watch the movie after, but then be disappointed by things not looking how I envisioned, or there being missing parts of the plot, or the plot changing entirely

Thank you so much salemkeating for your time spent on this interview.