Meet Crystal Scherer

Interviewers: mikaelkrownmk Tara0Tara123

Today's Fantasy author is no other than CrystalScherer, a Wattpad Star, and a writer of many genres including the Paid Story, A Different Virus: Heatfire, about zombies and the apocalypse. Let's hear it from her.

What's your name and tell us a little about yourself?

My name is Crystal. I live in Alberta, Canada, where the long, frigid winters leave plenty of time for hobbies like reading, writing, and figuring out which snowbank my car is hidden under this time. I stumbled across my love of writing by accident, but it's since become my favorite hobby.

What's your writing process?

I'm a pantser at heart, so the story unfolds for me as I write and imagine it. It makes writing a dream, and editing a nightmare.  I've tried plotting a few times, but the outline makes a lovely shattering sound when my characters barge right past it.

How do you deal with writer's block?

I find writer's block usually has several causes, and thus, several ways of getting past it:

  - The story has becoming boring (revise the last scene, add more action, add more emotion, etc)

  - I subconsciously realize there's something wrong with the plot or where it's going (stop, re-read, and revise accordingly, then continue)

  - Life was distracting and I forgot where the story was going (Re-read what I've written so far, or at least the last few chapters)

  - Burnout (I've pushed too hard, and need a day or two for my imagination to recharge its batteries)

  - Procrastination/rather be doing other things (Over time, I've noticed that if I have something I'm trying to avoid, I can write a lot, but if writing/editing is my least favorite task, I become the queen of distractions. This is a bit of mind-over-matter or self-discipline hump to get over.)

What's the hardest scene to write for any of your stories?

Deaths of prominent characters. I usually shy away from those. I'm also not good at writing romance past the kissing stage, so I usually veer away from that as well.

Is there a book that is featured in our reading list that is your favorite?

I honestly haven't looked since I followed the account, but after taking a peek, Dreamcatcher looks interesting and has been added to my library.

Define Fantasy in your own words?

Different worlds, often with magic and interesting creatures. 

What's your favorite Fantasy book on Wattpad?

Blowing Embers stands out, as well as Edgewise, and I'm currently reading The Mighty Morg, which is an interesting take on dragons and dragon slayers.

What Fantasy sub-genre is easier for you to write?

I've always leaned toward dragons in a medieval setting to avoid the complications of technology.

Are you a planner or a pantser?

A pantser, with a few plantser hints like ideas of future scenes.

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

Introvert, although I enjoy small groups of people I know.

Hobbies?

Writing, reading, hiking, gardening.

Pet peeves?

Staplers without staples. Or when someone borrows a book and never returns it (or returns it damaged).

Most used app?

Spider solitaire.

What TV shows are you obsessed with right now?

Actually, I haven't watched much TV for several years. I am subscribed to several nature and writing youtube channels though.

What motivates you to work hard?

I think this is more of a two-pronged question. At work, a bit of praise and appreciation go a long way if someone wants me to put in extra effort for them. In my hobbies, motivation is pretty much dependent on how much I'm enjoying it, although with writing, the comments readers leave are liquid gold.

Who's your biggest hero?

I don't really have a hero, although I have several sources of admiration and role models, such as several neighbors who always do good, Mercedes Lackey as an author inspiration, several people in the Wattpad Stars group, such as Rodney (iamRodneyvSmith) and Tamara (TamaraLush), and a few others here and there.

What's your greatest fear?

A mind degenerative disease, such as alzheimer's that steals your mind and identity one tiny bit at a time.

Spring or Autumn?

That's a hard one. Spring is full of new hope, but it's a ton of work in a farming community. Autumn has all the good fruits and veggies, but has winter looming over it.

Thanksgiving or Christmas?

Thanksgiving. The Canadian one doesn't coincide with the USA's, so it's pretty quiet and remains mostly a family holiday.

Can you tell us what you're currently writing?

I'm currently having a wrestling match with my zombie novel, The Virus Within, while revising it offline. The Wattpad version is riddled with my pantser plot issues and unexplainable character choices, which I'm slowly plowing through and setting to order. I'm hoping to finish this monumental task by the end of the year and be able to wave the polished version around with pride.

Thank you so much CrystalScherer for your time spent on this interview. Catch us next time as we bring on another amazing Fantasy author. Till then, have a magical week ahead.