Meet Erica Gallegos

Interviewer: mikaelkrownmk

Wattpad Star, Environmental Scientist, artist, and author of The Ephemeral, gtgrandom is on the hot seat today. Let's hear what she's got to say.

What's your full name, and tell us a little about yourself.

My name is Erica Gallegos (@gtgrandom), and I'm a 24-year-old environmental scientist who spends her days greening the business sector and her nights writing fast-paced fantasy sagas.

What or who inspires you to write?

I'm always thinking of new story ideas (and lengthy ones at that). I pluck my ideas from many different places: my outdoor adventures; world history and national news; my own life experience; and all kinds of movies, television series, comics, and novels. I also love to study people and their personality types, so I'm constantly inspired to create a new dynamic character or two.

What's your writing process?

In terms of a typical chapter update, I usually try to focus on the content first. As a perfectionist, it can be difficult to push forward without getting everything just right, but I've learned to dedicate one day for pumping out the scenes and dialogue, and then another day for editing and revising. Editing with fresh eyes is very important!  If we're talking about tackling a new story, I tend to plan character arcs and outline in advance (especially for my trilogies). This helps me stomp out any glaring plot holes. Then I flesh out my fantasy world and magic system, including rules and limitations. And once I have a basic road map, I start writing as linearly as possible.

How long have you been writing?

I have always enjoyed storytelling - in any medium - but it was in third grade when I discovered my love of writing. By the time I was ten, I'd written (and illustrated) my first book, and I haven't stopped since.

Define Fantasy in your own words?

For me, fantasy contains a magical element of some degree, whether it's a demigod navigating the modern world, or an original fantasy land with its own creatures, races, and history. This is usually accompanied by common fantasy tropes, such as medieval armor and clothing or well-known mythology and folklore.

What's your favorite fantasy book on wattpad?

Having joined in 2019, I've only read several completed fantasy works on Wattpad, but so far, my favorite is Bearheart by @MMicheleWilly.

Who's your OTP?

I have many OTPs, but if we're sticking to books, I'd have to say Percabeth. Can't get much more iconic than that.

Favorite colour?

My favorite color is probably green. The kind of green that's illuminated when the sun passes through a blade of grass at golden hour. Very specific, and very lovely!

Most used app?

My most used app is definitely Wattpad because I frequently engage with my readers. After that, it's YouTube. I watch The Dodo on a daily basis.

Favourite social media?

I enjoy Instagram the most — I've found that it's the best place to share my character art and writing progress.

A city or country you'd like to visit?

I've always wanted to visit Thailand. My dream is to spend a week at an elephant refuge.

Kittens or puppies?

Puppy. Old shelter dogs! If you're looking to buy a puppy from a breeder, check out your local shelter first. Rescues are the most grateful and loving dogs you'll ever meet.

Pop or R&B?

Soft rock and alternative! Or neoclassical; I'm obsessed with movie soundtracks.

Spring or Autumn?

I love Autumn. We only get about two weeks of it here in Northern Nevada, and I treasure every single day of golden leaves and 60 degree weather.

Thank you so much gtgrandom for your time spent in this interview.