Meet Sarah

Interviewer: mikaelkrownmk Tara0Tara123

This aspiring writer is always surrounded by books and her love for Kpop makes her all the more igniting in the written world. Please welcome Sarah.

What's your name and tell us a little about yourself?

Hi everyone! My name is Sarah! When I'm not writing I work at a bookstore as their co-manager and spend time with my friends. When I'm not reading or writing you can find me occupying time with my other hobby - KPop.

What's your writing process?

I've always been a panster. I don't plan much, aside from maybe writing down basic plot points I want to hit as I tell the story. I brainstorm using Pinterest and always make a playlist for whatever I'm writing. But otherwise, I just let the words flow and the story tell itself. Sometimes that works better than others, lol.

How do you deal with writer's block?

Oh man, two years ago and I would've said that I simply take a break or watch/read something that inspires me. But the last couple of years have been hard (duh) and my creativity has plummeted. I've never felt so blocked creatively before and not many things seem to help. That's not very uplifting but it's the truth right now. Talking it out with my writing friends definitely helps, though! Never take those friends for granted - they understand what you're going through.

What's the hardest scene to write for any of your stories?

Dialogue-heavy scenes. I hate them. Give me a battle scene or a super emotional scene any day. I'm a shy person outside of my friend group and even then I get tongue-tied so easily. Any scene that requires a lot of conversation (unless it's characters spilling their hearts out) I struggle.

Is there a book that is featured in our reading list that is your favorite?

I have not had the pleasure yet but I look forward to checking them all out!

Define Fantasy in your own words?

Wow, I've never been asked this question before. To me, fantasy is anything that makes you think of a world outside of our own. One where magical things can happen or where beasts and creatures of lore exist. Or, that just maybe, these things exist right underneath your nose, you're just not looking in the right places to see it.

What Fantasy sub-genre is easier for you to write?

Urban fantasy (although it's now known as contemporary fantasy if I'm correct). I love the idea of another world, a magical one, existing side by side our own world. Cassandra Clare does this beautifully in her Shadowhunter series.

Are you a planner or a pantser?

Pantser, 100%.
Fantasy's avatar

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

Introvert, although if you like Kpop then don't expect me to shut up about it anytime soon.

Hobbies?

Outside of writing I don't really have any hobbies. Unless we can count collecting KPop albums and merch as a hobby? I like spending time outside and going to the beach when I can.

Pet peeves?

The misuse of there, their, they're correctly. Or your/you're.

Most used app?

Oh man. I'm going to sound like a teenager here. TikTok, Snapchat and Instagram, for sure. My screen time alert agrees with me.

What TV shows are you obsessed with right now?

I'm SO behind on tv these days, it's not even funny. Just got around to Shadow and Bone (amazing!) and really need to catch up on Castlevania. Otherwise, I'm watching things like Destination Fear and Expedition Unknown.

What motivates you to work hard?

My dreams for a better future for myself. The ever-present dream of seeing something I wrote on the bookshelf where I work.

Who's your biggest hero?

This changes so often. I've never been someone who admires a single person for very long. Although Michelle Obama continues to impress me with her poise and grace throughout the years.

What's your greatest fear?

Heights and drowning. I never knew how bad my fear of heights was until I tried to do an ariel bridge tour in Costa Rica. I do not recommend it. Ever.

Spring or Autumn?

Autumn! It's my favorite time of the year. The chill in the air, the leaves changing color, the smells, Pumpkin EVERYTHING. I've now moved to Florida and autumn is the one thing that I miss so so much. It's probably why everything I really want to write takes place in fall, lol.

Thanksgiving or Christmas?

Christmas, hands down. There's just something magical in the air that time of the year.

Can you tell us what you're currently writing?

I currently have two ongoing projects, something I've never done before, but I'm hoping it will help with the writer's block. One of them is the third and final book to my FAYE trilogy. Whoever thought writing a series was easy - it's NOT. The other project is a sort of Pirates of the Caribbean meet the Bermuda Triangle. It only has a few chapters so far but they're all up on my profile under The Endless Sea.

And there you have it. Thanks @sarahbeth9009 for your time spent on this interview. Catch us next time as we bring on another amazing Fantasy author. Till then, have a magical week ahead.