𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚞𝚎

~~~

Charlie

JUNE

Flick, flick, flick.

The sound of the match striking against the box.

Flick, flick, fwoomp.

The sound of the match engulfing into a tiny flame.

I moved the match towards the candle that stood upright, impaling the center of the cupcake, passing the torch. The candle was lit. Everything was ready.

I sat there, hunched over the birthday cupcake, alone in my bedroom at 1 in the morning. I stared down at the flame, feeling its warmth as it lit up my surroundings, being the only light source in my whole bedroom.

I looked over at the picture frame that sat on the desk inches away from the cupcake. It was of my mother. It was a really old photo.

I took a deep breath.

"Hi, mom," I whispered, looking into the flame.

"I'm sorry to be bothering you like this,

"I know I can be really annoying at times, but...

"It's my birthday.

"And, yeah, I know I never make wishes, or, believe in making wishes, but at this time, I need every sliver of hope, whether it's unrealistic or not."

I looked down at the envelope I was holding in my hands.

"I really want to go here. I really want to go to this school.

"Please, please, mom. Please, let them accept me. I really need to get out of here.

"This is the only thing I'll ever ask of you, I promise."

I closed my eyes, sighing deeply.

"I love you, mommy."

A tear fell from my eye.

Without looking, I blew the candle out with a single breath, submerging myself into the dark emptiness of my own bedroom.