㉔ 𝙽𝙾𝚂𝚃𝙰𝙻𝙶𝙸𝙰

~~~

Charlie

As I drove into my hometown, all the various memories began to flood back into my head. The bookstore, the shopping mart, the playground, the high school, all the locations where my life took sudden turns. Where I met my first friend, where I had my first kiss, where I fought my first fight. I was receiving an overwhelming sense of nostalgia, but not the good kind. I may have lived here all my life and had been away for only four months, but I feel as though, in college, I have grown the most. I acted far too young for my age when I lived here, my actions were childish, my personality was immature, and my surroundings were toxic. This is a terrible place to grow up... or to raise a family.

But my dad never cared.

Each block I passed in the streets only took me closer to home. Closer to him. Ever since I left, I've dreaded this moment. The moment I'd have to confront him head-on.

"Destination arrived," I muttered to myself as I pulled up to our secluded split-level home. Inside, the lights were on and shadows blazed past the windows. Looks like dad has a few guests.

I took a deep breath.

Remember what Skyler said.

You can do this, Charlie.

I took the key out of the ignition. I opened the car door and marched up the dimly lit stone pathway, leading to the intimidating double doors. I could hear laughter and soft Muzak playing from inside. I could smell the ashy scent of roast turkey and mashed potatoes.

It almost feels welcoming.

It feels like a trap.

Maybe I could make a run for it. Maybe I can take the coward's way out and never show my face to him again. Maybe...

Maybe I should go inside.

I rang the doorbell, bracing myself for the interesting evening I'm about to have. The second it rang, I could hear some clamor as the conversations quieted down. Are... Are they waiting for me?

The double doors swung open as a strong, smug, and dignified gray husky, dazzled up in a vintage suit and tie, stood between them.

My father, Hugo Alexander Cooperton.

"Ah, Charlie!" He cheered, wrapping his arms around me. I was startled by the welcoming gesture, patting him on the back instinctively. "My boy! You're finally home!"

He was bright and jubilant. He was cleanly shaven and didn't smell like whiskey for once. He squeezed me in a loving, family-like way. He separated from me, placing his muscular paws on my shoulders.

"Good to see you, too, dad," I spoke, not knowing which emotion to convey.

As he welcomed me inside, taking my coat and placing it on the rack, I noticed how... warm it suddenly felt. The whole house had this calming orange glow to it, like a Wes Anderson film. Has it always been like this? I'm starting to forget... Have I really been away for this long?

This feels strikingly different than any other Thanksgiving dinners he's hosted...

"Come, let me introduce you to everyone." My father smiled, placing a hand on my back. "Folks, I'd like you to meet my son, Charlie."

I could see four other adults approaching us with smiles on their faces. They gave off a friendly vibe as if they were excited to meet me and get to know who I am. They also seemed very wealthy and egotistical, I can't forget the fact that they could possibly be dicks on the inside, like my father. But, it feels as though something has changed. At first glance, this looks like a normal Thanksgiving gathering.