㉓ 𝚃𝙷𝙴 𝙲𝙻𝙾𝚅𝙴𝚁𝙻𝙰𝙽𝙳 𝚃𝙸𝙼𝙱𝙴𝚁𝚆𝙾𝙻𝚅𝙴𝚂

~~~

Charlie

About three weeks had passed. This month flew by faster than I had expected. November is always that one fleeting vacancy in time where you have no idea what you're doing. Halloween is over, Christmas is in season, and Thanksgiving gets almost no attention. It's basically just a race towards December so people can hang up lights and decorate the tree. I bet that's what Sky looks forward to. He keeps reminding me that Winter is his favorite season. At least November is a way for me to say farewell to the autumn traditions one last time. The orange leaves were now fading away and the temperature was taking a nosedive.

It was Friday, and Thanksgiving weekend started tomorrow. I leave tonight.

I got up early to get ready for my "vacation", packing a small bag of only three pairs of clothing, my phone and it's charger, and other classwork that my dad might ask me to show off. I sighed subtly as I zipped the small luggage opening closed. Skyler placed his arms around me and tried to motivate me, saying that I could get through this week, no problem. I left the bag on the bed for me to snatch it the second school ended. We both walked to our first class only to break apart and leave for our separate lessons.

Class just drifted. I don't know why I was being so dramatic. It's just a week, I can live with it. I guess it was because of that fucking cat. I didn't want to leave Sky, I've felt so attached to him these past few months. I'm getting a little overprotective of him, I know, but I don't give a shit. He's the closest thing I've had to an authentic significant other, besides Cassie. Well, not really. We haven't talked in a while. I've tried my best to call her whenever I had the time to, but I've been thinking about her less and less.

After me and Sky's shift ended at Amber's, I saved my last few moments with him before heading into the belly of the beast.

"You okay?" Skyler asked tenderly as I picked up my luggage nervously.

Sky has seen me from many angles; happy, sad, angry, horny... but I don't think he's ever seen me scared before. He's a feline and I'm a canine, usually, it's the other way around. Now, Sky's the one comforting me.

"I'm going back home." I sighed, grabbing my belongings off my desk. "There's nothing scarier than fearing a place where you should feel safe."

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with?" Sky suggested, rubbing my shoulder.

"No, I'm not letting you anywhere near him." I deflected almost immediately after I heard his suggestion. Imagine what my father could do to a small creature like him. "Go to the football game. If Claire texts me saying you bailed, I won't show you any mercy." I teased, wrapping my arms around him tightly and smooching his nose.

"Take care of yourself." He smiled sweetly, kissing me on my cheek.

"Thank you... for caring about me, Sky. I'll miss you."

"It's only two days, crybaby. You won't die." He concluded, placing his paws on my cheeks and looking at me gingerly. If only he knew what I'd be risking, returning to the clutches of my father.

Sky helped me with my bag, walking me to my car. Jonathan and Claire were there to see me off, too, but also to attend the game with Sky. I told Claire to stay by his side.

"You're lucky I'm letting you off the day we win against the Ravens," Jonathan smirked, standing outside the window as I started the car. He was already in his football jersey and had all his gear on.

"Just don't break any bones while I'm gone, I can't have my best friend in shambles," I responded.

"Don't worry, I got him," Claire smirked, joining Jonathan at his side. She was sporting a blue-and-gray Timberwolves t-shirt in support of her boyfriend. They stepped back to the sidewalk as Sky came to the window.