⑱ 𝙿𝚁𝙾𝙼

~~~

Skyler

We spent the rest of the day going to the movies watching a horror flick. I don't really like horror movies, and this one was no different. It got way too scary for me at moments so I had to hide behind Charlie's arm. It seemed to be frightening to others, too. We actually saw a fox and a serval run out of the theaters looking like they were about to throw up. I may or may not have screamed a few times, but nonetheless, Charlie held my hand the whole way through. I just kind of sat underneath my sweater and ate all the popcorn. I wanted to pay for my own ticket, but Charlie insisted. I swear, he is way too generous. I think he's the most amazing person alive.

When we exited the theater, Charlie and I walked home through the sunset, hand in hand. We bought two ice cream cones at a stand on the way back and, this time, I paid. Sure, it was chilly in the October night, but Charlie was right, ice cream is really good regardless of the time. As we licked our cold desserts, we started to have a conversation about what we liked and didn't like about the movie and if we would survive if we were the characters. Charlie said I would die first. Understandable.

Once we got back to the house, I noticed it was empty, again. I guess our roommates had other things to do. Jonathan, Dylan, and Byron are always attending campus events or parties. Milo? I have no idea.

"Wait here," Charlie instructed before we entered the house.

"What—why?" I questioned as he ran up the steps and disappeared into the doorway. "Charlie?" I called, but no response.

What is he doing? Oh, well, guess I'll do what he says.

I waited for a few seconds until Charlie emerged back out onto the front steps.

"What were you doing?" I asked, watching him stand at the top of the steps with his hands behind his back. I suddenly noticed he had put on a black bowtie around his shirt collar and was holding something in his hands. "Why are you wearing that?" I laughed, a little confused.

"Skyler Hazel Clawfield," Charlie began. "Will you go to prom with me?"

Huh?

"What?" I scoffed, perplexed.

He held his hand out, reaching for mine.

What the heck is he doing?

"C'mon, Whiskers," He coaxed, his paw beckoning me to join him.

I took his hand, a little disoriented. What's going on?

He opened his left hand and held out a prom corsage for me to put on my arm. I stared at him, not knowing how to feel as he fit my paw through the band, tightening it around my wrist.

He opened the door behind him and lured me into the living room.

Inside, Jonathan was playing electro-dance music from his phone. Though the lights were off aside from a few candles littered around, on the floor, a laser light show machine was spinning and shining steams of bright, neon green lights onto the ceiling and the walls. I saw Claire in the corner holding up a painted sign that read, 'senior prom'.

I stopped in the doorway, taking in my surroundings. Charlie joined my side, folding his left arm around my waist and pulling me into his side.

"Is... Is this prom?" I whined, closing my eyes and sighing in annoyance.

"What do you think?" Charlie whispered into my ear.

"I think you're insane." I blushed, holding my hands over my face to hide my cringe.