⑥ 𝚃𝙷𝙸𝙽𝙶𝚂 𝙰𝚁𝙴 𝙶𝙾𝙸𝙽𝙶 𝚃𝙾 𝙶𝙴𝚃 𝙱𝙴𝚃𝚃𝙴𝚁

~~~

Skyler

12 PM.

There was a miniature food court open on-campus celebrating the first day of college, so Claire and I decided to eat lunch there together. She got a cheeseburger, fries, and a strawberry milkshake. I just got a salad and a bottle of water.

It sure was crowded, there were animals everywhere, taking up every space on the sidewalk. Claire and I laughed as we tried to push through the blur of various clothing colors to find a place to sit.

I can't believe it, I actually found a real friend! In high school, all of the girls thought I was either a creep or a school shooter. Claire actually respects me for my differences. Today has been a pretty okay day so far... I hope it lasts.

We located a picnic table and sat down. Claire immediately dug into her meal as I ripped the wrapping off of a plastic fork.

"Jeez, you're hungry," I chuckled, amazed by how wide her jaw can open.

"I may be a fox, but I'm wolfing this down, dude." She laughed through big bites.

"What are you, a cannibal?" I joked, stabbing my salad with my fork.

"Plant-based products, man," Claire swooned, taking another huge bite. "It's a fucking furnace out, and you're wearing all that black over that fur? How are you not incinerating right now?" I looked down at my black shirt, black jeans, and black-gray flannel.

"Oh, you know, I'm an e-boy at heart." I mocked, pushing my fur to cover my eyes. Claire snorted with a mouthful of food.

I laughed. I can't believe I'm laughing. I can't believe how much fun I'm having.

Today is a good day. Is it just me, or is it really nice out right now? The sun beaming down on us, Claire's witty humor making me laugh, everything is going so well. What could go wrong?

Spoke too soon.

Behind Claire, I saw Charlie and my housemate Jonathan Greenwood in the distance, food in hand, looking for a place to sit. I ducked my head, hoping he wouldn't see me. But of course, it's pretty hard not to spot a bright blue cat with pink stripes. He made eye contact with me, smiled, and journeyed over. Jonathan followed behind.

"Hey, Sky!" He called once he got to our table. Claire turned around to see who was behind her.

"Hi, Charlie," I sighed, looking down at my food. Seeing him makes me panic, so I tried my best not to look at his face.

"Did you get up early? Didn't see you when I woke up." He asked.

"Yeah, sorry," I responded. "I had to do something."

"Oh, no worries," He promised.

It got awkwardly silent for a few seconds. Claire looked at me, confused.

"Oh, yes, sorry," I stuttered. "Claire, these are my roommates, Charlie and Jonathan."

"Oh, why hello, boys." She greeted, standing up to shake their hands. "I'm Claire Chloe Harper."

"Nice to meet you, Claire Chloe Harper," Jonathan spoke after Claire shook his hand.

"Same," Charlie said. "So, I don't suppose you two have any room for us, if you don't mind?"

"Oh, not at all!" Claire bubbled. Despite me saying she's the girl version of me, Claire and I are pretty different. She's more outgoing, I'm more of an introvert. She's very sweet and polite. I wonder if I could be as nice as her?