㊲ 𝚂𝙴𝙲𝚁𝙴𝚃 𝚂𝙰𝙽𝚃𝙰

~~~

Charlie

The moment me and Sky got off work Thursday, we went to the nearby grocery store to find our gifts for Secret Santa.

"Let's see who can find their item, pay for the product, and get out of the store the fastest." Sky challenged as we stood outside of the store by the front sliding doors.

"You're on." I daunted as we both set off into the store at the same time.

We both grabbed a shopping basket from the rack by the entrance, laughing as we stumbled into each other, separating and running off in different directions into the aisles. I immediately absconded to the baking section of the store.

Claire loves to cook. And she's really good at it, too. Like, Alain Ducasse, good. The only reason I know that name is because of how much she talks about and admires him as a chef. She takes culinary classes here at CIVA, and recently she's been learning how to bake. She has been telling me about how baking is new to her, yet fun and exciting. So, I decided to get her something that correlated with her passion. I didn't know exactly what it was that I was gonna get, but my eyes kept looking left and right as I walked down the aisle, trying to find the best gift.

That's when I saw it.

The Refurbished Artisan® Series 5 Quart Tilt-Head Stand Mixer.

It's a mouthful.

Look it up.

We hadn't put a price limit on our presents. Not that we expected to get really expensive gifts, more like we just forgot. Thankfully, the mixer was on sale and didn't cost as much as it usually does. But, it still took quite a deal out of my pocket.

Eh, fuck it.

Christmas is a time of spending, and this will probably be the last I buy this holiday season.

And, yes, I already bought Sky a present for Christmas.

I picked up the box with two hands, placing it gently into the basket and swiftly carrying it towards the checkout lanes. Noticing that Sky was already in line for one of them, I snuck into another a few aisles down. We didn't want to see what each of us got, in case I had gotten his name or he had gotten mine. Sadly, the aisle I went into had a pretty long line. I stood there, anxious, wanting to beat Skyler.

Somehow, he had caught me sneaking into another lane. I could see that Sky was subtly mocking me from the other aisle, as he was already one person away from the checkout counter. I stuck the middle finger up at him.

Thankfully, the person in front of him was a slow, elderly lady, and my line was moving pretty quickly. People were in a rush for the holidays. Sky and I left for vacation tomorrow afternoon.

I placed the package on the conveyor belt and walked up to the counter as the employee scanned the item. My leg tapped impatiently as I waited for the employee to bag the mixer and let me pay. I could see Sky also checking out ahead of me. We both simultaneously paid for the item, had it bagged, and exited the lane.

Once we both got out of check out, we stared at each other in the eyes as the exit stood between us. It was like a showdown. At the same time, the two of us bolted for the doors. Sky's a pretty fast runner even though he's pretty short.

Or, he's probably not that short and I'm just really tall. He's like 5'6.

We both knocked into each other, playfully pushing each other out of the way as we stumbled through the sliding doors and shoved ourselves out of the grocery store.