𝐂𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐐𝐧𝐀! (𝑨𝒏𝒔𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒔)

ALRIGHT! No more dilly-dallying! Let's jump straight into these Q's and cAke's! (I tried)

The questions asked will be answered in the order of when they were commented, so let's begin!

The first few questions are from theoutside21:

"Would you ever imagine Cake becoming a movie or TV show?"

Klondike: Alright, this is pretty funny actually.

I've seen a few people saying that they imagined Cake being an animated movie or series a few times before, and what's interest is (I've never told anyone this, by the way) before I even wrote Cake as a book, Charlie and Skyler's story was a made-up animated TV series in my head.

That's right. Long before I discovered Wattpad or even the furry fandom in general, Cake was a fake hype show in my imagination when I was, like, thirteen or some shit. 

It was only when I found Wattpad that I decided to take my TV show idea and make it into a book. I'm not even joking, this is seriously how Cake began. It wasn't even called Cake to begin with, it was literally 'Charlie & Skyler' or something stupid lmao

In real life, I don't consider myself to be an actual author. Instead, my field of career is film and I'm a screenplay writer, so I initially wrote the novel as if it were a movie or a TV show. I wrote the chapters as if they were singular episodes, having cliffhangers or endings that felt cinematic. I wrote a lot of the scenes as if they were being played out as actual moments of dialogue between actors. I take a lot of inspiration from movies such as 'Lady Bird' and 'Marriage Story' for the dialogue in Cake, and it's pretty clear how much I adore the writing of those films considering how evident those inspirations are in my work.

I had a specific image of what Sky and Charlie looked like and how the animation looked, so I used that image in my head and melted it into my writing. That's why I like to use a lot of detailed imagery and cinematic tones in my work.

If I could choose any artist to compose the soundtrack, hands down, it would most definitely be Dodie Clark. I basically wrote Cake at the same time as I was starting to listen to her music, so she had a big impact on my writing as well. The vibe I get from her music is the same vibe I want Cake to give off. That's why I consider 'If I'm Being Honest' and 'When' to be, like, the theme songs of Cake and Cake 2. 

Also, if you haven't listened to her debut album 'Build A Problem' yet, you definitely should. It's my favorite album of last year.

So... that was a pretty long response for the first question... but let's continue!

"Is there anything you don't like about Cake 1 now that time has passed?"

Klondike: ...I still find it very cliche.

I kinda wish Sky and Charlie had more independence at the beginning of the book before they got together so it didn't feel like they were forced to date for the sole purpose of the novel to be entertaining. (I have this tendency to make my novels surround an idea that expands further from the actual relationship and center around the concepts of life... for some reason...)

I also feel like I could've given Niko (he-who-shall-not-be-named) more of a storyline because, now that I look back at it, he feels like a very flat character with only one purpose; that purpose being to ruin Charlie and Sky's relationship, which is, in my opinion, very unrealistic. He just felt like an obstacle or a plot point, and even though he's meant to be hated, I feel like I could've made him more human. (Or more animal..? idk)