1 In My Time of Dying: Part 2

I ended up falling asleep only to be woken up by a loud beeping. I quickly looked at the machines attached to Dean, and they were all going crazy.

"Help!" I yelled, but people were already running into the room.

A doctor ran in and began resuscitating Dean. A nurse pulled me away from the bed, wheeled me outside of the room, and then ran back in. Sam came running down the hallway, and I turned my wheelchair to see into the room.

The doctor rubbed the paddles of a defibrillator together. "All clear." Everyone stepped away from the bed, and the doctor shocked Dean.

"No," Sam said as he watched from the doorway with me.

"Still no pulse," a woman said.

The doctor nodded. "Okay, let's go again, 360."

"Charging," the woman said.

The doctor rubbed the paddles again and put them on Dean's chest. Everyone watched silently for a moment, and then one of the machines started beeping again.

"We have a pulse. We're back into sinus rhythm," the woman said.

Sam and I both sighed in relief and just watched for a minute. Then he walked behind me, walking me around the corner and down the hall.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"To your room, I need to talk to you," Sam said as he quickly pushed me into my room and closed the door behind us.

"What's going on?" I asked, concerned as Sam walked around the wheelchair to face me.

"This might sound crazy, but I swear I felt something back there," Sam said.

I nodded. "I know what you mean."

Shock crossed Sam's face. "You do?"

"Yeah, when I was in there earlier, I could swear that he was there with me..." I sighed. "Well, I know he was physically, but it was like I could feel his spirit."

Sam nodded. "Yeah, exactly." He sighed. "Look, I'm gonna go talk to Dad quick, and then I'm going out for a little bit."

I furrowed my brow. "Okay, is everything all right?"

Sam laughed. "Uh, yeah. I just need to get something, and when I get back, I'm gonna need your help."

"Okay," I said curiously.

Sam nodded and then left the room quickly.

"Wait, Sam!" I called and then waited for a moment, but he didn't come back.

I sighed. "All right, I'm on my own, then." I tried to wheel myself toward my bed, but it only resulted in spinning in circles again. So, I decided to turn myself until I was facing the bed, and then I used my good leg to wheel myself over to it. After a tiring effort, I reached the side of the bed. I looked at the bed and then down at my broken arm and ankle. "Nope, I'm gonna just sit right here, I guess." I put my head back and groaned.

The door opened a moment later.

"Sam?" I asked.

"No, Dr. Walker," a man said.

I turned to look as a young doctor walked into the room.

"We met before, but you were under a lot of stress," he said as he approached me. "I just wanted to come in and check on you."

I nodded. "I'm doing good. I got to see my family, so I'm as happy as I can be right now."

He looked down with sadness in his eyes. "Yeah, I know what you mean." He sighed and then looked back up at me. "Are you feeling any pain or anything?"