17 Heart: Part 2

Once we parked the car in front of Madison's apartment, we ran into the building and to her door. Dean pounded on it, and we waited for Sam, who opened the door a second later. As we walked in, we could see that Madison had been tied to a chair.

"How you doin'? My head feels great, thanks," Dean said to her as he pulled out his gun.

"We've gotta talk," Sam said and then led us into a bedroom. "She says she has no idea what I'm talking about."

"She's lying," Dean said.

Sam shrugged. "Or maybe she really doesn't know she's changing, ya know? Maybe—Maybe when the creature takes over, she blacks out."

"That makes sense. Aren't werewolves supposed to be pretty feral?" I shrugged. "I mean, maybe if she was turned in a traumatic way, she really doesn't remember."

"Like a really hot Incredible Hulk? Come on, she ganked her boss and her ex-boyfriend." Dean shook his head. "That doesn't sound rash and unconscious."

"Just 'cause she changes doesn't mean she loses herself. It doesn't mean she doesn't remember how they made her feel," I said.

Sam nodded. "Yeah, I mean, what if some animal part of her brain saw both those guys as threats?" He shrugged. "Hell, the cop, too."

Dean put his arms out. "What are you, dog whisperers now?"

"Look, man, I just—" Sam shook his head. "I don't know, there— there— there was something in her eyes."

"Yeah, she's killing people!" Dean shouted.

Sam furrowed his brow. "But if she has no control over it—"

Dean nodded. "Exactly. She can't control it. Even if she's telling the truth, it's not gonna change anything."

Sam shook his head. "I'm not putting a bullet through some girl's chest who has no idea what's happening."

"Sam, she's a monster, and you're feeling sorry for her?" Dean asked.

"Maybe I understand her." Sam sighed. "Look, there might be another way we can get the job done without having to waste her."

"Are you thinking what I think you're thinking?" Dean asked.

Sam pulled out Dad's journal and started flipping through it. "Dad's theory... 'lycanthropy might have a cure if you kill the werewolf who bit you, severing the bloodline.'"

"Might have a cure. Meaning, who the hell knows," Dean said.

"It's worth a shot," Sam said, with pleading eyes.

Dean shook his head. "We don't even know where to start looking, all right? I mean, the puppy that bit her could be anyone, anywhere. It could've been years ago."

A look of realization crossed Sam's face. "No. I don't think so." He walked back out to Madison, and we followed behind.

"Madison, when were you mugged?" Sam asked.

She just stared at him.

"Please. It's important, all right? Just answer the question," Sam encouraged.

Madison sighed. "About a month ago."

"Did you see the guy?" Sam asked.

Madison shook her head. "No. He grabbed me from behind."

"Did he bite you?" Sam asked.

Madison furrowed her brow. "How did you know that?"

"Where?" Sam asked.