21 All Hell Breaks Loose: Part 3

"I don't believe it." Bobby walked into the room, where we were all researching, and set a large book down on his desk.

"What? You got something?" Sam asked.

"A lot more than that. Each of these X's..." Bobby pointed to the map. "Is an abandoned frontier church, all mid-19th century. And all of them built by Samuel Colt."

"Samuel Colt... the demon-killing, gun-making, Samuel Colt?" Dean asked.

Bobby nodded. "Yup. And there's more. He built private railway lines..." He pointed to the lines on the map. "Connecting church to church. It just happens to lay out like this." He picked up a marker and connected the churches on the map, creating a star shape.

I gasped. "Is that a—"

"It's a devil's trap." Sam said in astonishment, "A 100-square mile devil's trap."

Dean raised his eyebrows, impressed. "That's brilliant. Iron lines demons can't cross."

Ellen shook her head. "I've never heard of anything that massive."

Bobby shrugged. "No one has."

"And after all these years, none of the lines are broken? I mean, it still works?" Dean asked.

Sam nodded. "Definitely."

"How do you know?" Dean asked.

"All those omens Bobby found." Sam shrugged. "I mean the demons, they must be circling, and they can't get in."

Bobby nodded. "Yeah, well... they're trying."

"Why? What's inside?" Ellen asked.

Dean sighed. "That's what I've been looking for. And, uh, there's nothing except an old cowboy cemetery right in the middle."

"Well, what's so important about a cemetery, or... what's Colt trying to protect?" Sam asked.

"Well, unless..." Dean thought for a moment.

"Unless what?" Bobby asked.

"What if Colt wasn't trying to keep the demons out? What if he was trying to keep something in?" Dean asked.

"Now that's a comforting thought," Ellen said sarcastically.

"Yeah, you think?" Dean asked.

"Could they do it, Bobby?" Sam asked, "Could they get inside?"

"This thing's so powerful, you'd practically need an A-bomb to destroy it. No way a full-blood demon gets across," Bobby said.

"No," Sam said, "But I know who could."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As we made our way to the center of the devil's trap, Sam explained to us that after he was taken, he was put in that old town with other people his age, all with demon powers as well.

The demon was pitting them against each other to see who the survivor was. A man named Jake was the last survivor besides Sam, so he believed he was being used to get into the cemetery.

The plan was to hide in the cemetery and wait for Jake's arrival.

Once we got there, Nate and I were told to wait in the car.

"Can I tell you something?" I asked. "But you can't tell anyone else."

Nate gave me a strange look. "What?"

"You have to promise," I said, very seriously.

"Maddison, what?" Nate asked.

I just stared at him.