6 No Exit: Part 4

Sam, Jo, and I stood at the top of the sewer entrance as we waited for Dean to return from down the street with something.

"So? This job as glamorous as you thought it would be?" Sam asked her.

Jo shrugged. "Well, except for all the pee-your-pants terror, yeah. Sure. But that Teresa girl's gonna live a life because of us. It's worth it, isn't it?"

Sam nodded and sighed. "Yeah. Yeah, it is."

"Shouldn't we be worried that the salt will get washed away or someone will find this place?" I asked.

Sam nodded. "Both very fine points. Which is why we're waiting here."

"For what?" Jo asked.

The loud beeping of a large truck backing up went off. Sam smiled and looked over his shoulder. There was a cement mixer backing into the field and over the sewer entrance.

"For that," Sam said and then waved for the truck to stop. "Whoa!"

The truck stopped, and then Dean jumped out of the cab. Sam and Dean set up the back of the truck so the cement would pour directly into the sewer.

"You ripped off a cement truck?" Jo asked.

Dean smirked. "I'll give it back." He flipped a switch, and then cement started pouring. He walked over and stared down into the sewer. "Well, that outta keep him down there 'til Hell freezes over."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

When we made it back to the Impala, we had found Ellen standing outside, tapping her foot. We were now driving back to the Roadhouse in complete and utter silence. I sat between Jo and Sam in the back seat while Ellen sat angrily in the passenger seat.

"Boy, you— you really weren't kidding about flying out, were you?" Dean asked uncomfortably.

Ellen didn't react. Sam, Jo, and I exchanged glances, knowing this was not going to end well.

"How about we listen to some music?" Dean asked and flicked the radio on.

"You're as cold as ice..." Started blasting.

Usually, I would laugh at the irony of the situation, but I figured it would be frowned upon at the moment.

Ellen reached forward and flicked the radio off. Dean glanced back at us in the rear-view mirror, but we just shook our heads.

Dean sighed. "This is gonna be a long drive."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Back at the Roadhouse, we followed Ellen in as she dragged Jo behind her by her elbow.

"Ellen? This is my fault. Okay?" Dean sighed. "I lied to you, and I'm sorry. But Jo did good out there. I think her dad would be proud."

Ellen turned abruptly. "Don't you dare say that." She pointed at Dean. "Not you." She shook her head and stared at Jo. "I need a moment with my daughter... alone."

As the three of us turned to leave, I spotted Nate, giving me a small wave. I nodded back with a half-smile and then walked out.

The three of us leaned against the Impala, waiting for the argument to die down. A few minutes later, Jo stormed out of the bar and took a left away from the Impala without making eye contact.

Dean quickly ran up to her. "That bad, huh?"

"Not right now," Jo snapped.

"What happened?" Dean asked as Jo continued to walk away. He grabbed her arm. "Hey, talk to me."