19 Folsom Prison Blues: Part 4

"All right." Bobby held up a handgun I️ had seen Sam and Dean use many times before. "This is a—"

"A Colt M1911," I️ said.

Bobby nodded. "Yup." He smirked. "It's a single-action, semi-automatic pistol. It's magazine-fed." He popped out the magazine to show me. "And it has.45 caliber bullets." He handed me the gun. "The magazine isn't in it right now. I️ want you to get the positioning down first. So, go ahead."

I️ nodded and took aim.

"Okay. First thing, you're going to want both of your hands on the gun. You'll get better aim and more control," Bobby said, "Do your brothers shoot one-handed? 'Cause I'll need to talk to them if they do."

I️ thought for a second. "Actually, no." I️ shrugged. "I️ guess this is how I️ see it in the movies."

Bobby nodded. "Yeah, you're gonna want to forget anything you've seen in the movies. They just do things to be dramatic, but the techniques are usually wrong."

"Okay." I️ nodded and then aimed the gun with both of my hands.

"Okay. Better, but you never want your finger on the trigger until you're actually ready to shoot. Your trigger finger should be along the side of the gun. So, make sure when you do that, that your thumb falls along the other side as it would naturally. Your other three fingers are around the grip," Bobby instructed, "Then you wrap your left hand around the grip of the gun and marry your thumbs together."

I️ did as he said.

"Okay. Great." Bobby nodded. "Next thing is, you want to make sure your arms are a little more relaxed at the elbows. People think you're supposed to have your arms outstretched and firm, but that ain't true. You'll just get tired faster that way. Plus, you'll have a faster reaction time if someone tries to go for your gun."

I️ did as he said. "Like this?"

"Yup. That's perfect. You're already standing shoulder-width apart, but just make sure your right foot is slightly further back than your left. Also, your knees should be bent just a little bit. That will allow you to move and react quickly if you need to," Bobby said, "Then when you go to shoot, just lean forward slightly. It'll make it more comfortable for your body, which means less fatigue and faster reaction time."

"Okay." I️ nodded and did what he said.

"You ready?" he asked.

I️ nodded. "Yeah, let's do this."

Bobby took the gun and put the magazine back in it, handing it back to me when he was finished. "Go ahead."

I️ got into the position we had just practiced.

"Take aim and shoot when you're ready," Bobby said.

I️ did just that, and a moment later, I️ shot, but as I️ did, I️ jumped back from the recoil.

"All right. So, now that you know what the recoil feels like. Just be aware of it, but don't be scared of it. You could hurt yourself or someone else if you're scared of your gun and don't have control of it," Bobby said.

I️ nodded and retook aim. As I️ shot, I️ prepared myself for the recoil and controlled it much better.

"You're a fast learner. Now we just gotta work on your aim," Bobby said.

"Yeah." I️ shook my head. "I️ aimed and felt dead on, but when I️ actually shot, it was way off."

"Okay, so what I️ want you to do is go ahead and aim," Bobby said.

I️ did.

"All right, so when you feel like you've got it. Take a deep breath and exhale when you shoot," Bobby instructed.