4 Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things: Part 2

When we got to Angela's house, Dean did the typical 'stay close' routine and then picked the lock.

When we walked in, we could see that someone had been packing boxes. Dean walked over and picked up a framed picture of Angela.

"Who the hell are you?!" a girl screamed from behind us.

We turned around to see a girl in her pajamas running for one of the rooms. She must've been Angela's roommate, something we weren't betting on.

Dean ran to the door as she slammed and locked it shut. "Wait, wait, wait, hold on!"

"I'm calling 9-1-1!" she yelled.

"We're Angela's cousins!" Dean called back.

"What?" the girl asked.

"Yeah, her dad sent us over to, uh, pick up her stuff. My name's Alan." Dean hesitated. "Alan Stanwick."

The girl opened the door slowly. "Her dad didn't say that you were coming."

"Well, I mean..." Dean held up his keys and shook them. "How else would I get the key to your place?" He laughed uncomfortably.

The girl walked out and headed off to the living room. "I'm Lindsey, by the way."

We followed her and sat down on the couch across from her.

"So. I'm sure you got a view of Angela that none of the family got to see. Tell me, what was she like? I mean, what was she really like?" Dean asked.

Lindsey started crying. "She was great."

Dean grabbed a tissue off of the coffee table and handed it to her. "Hmm."

Lindsey blew her nose. "Just great. I mean, she was so— so—"

Dean nodded. "Great."

Lindsey nodded and started sobbing again. "Yeah. Yeah."

"Yeah." Dean handed her another tissue. "Here you go."

Lindsey took the tissue and stood up. "Would either of you like water?"

I nodded.

"Yes, please," Dean said.

Lindsey nodded and then walked off to the kitchen while wiping her face with the tissue.

"We've gotta find Angela's room and see if she has one of those books," Dean whispered.

I furrowed my brow. "What?"

"You know those things girls write their feelings in," Dean whispered.

"A diary?" I laughed.

Dean nodded. "Yeah, that."

Lindsey set the waters down in front of us.

I cleared my throat. "Could I use your bathroom?"

"Yeah, it's just down the hall to the left." Lindsey pointed.

I got up and turned the corner down the hallway.

"So, you two must have been really close, huh?" Dean asked.

"We were. But it's not just..." Lindsey's voice trailed off as I continued down the hall past the bathroom.

I found Angela's room at the end of the hall. Her room was mostly intact, with one box in the center of her bed. I knew I had to move quickly to find her diary if she even had one.

So, I started looking in the obvious spots, the nightstand's drawer, her dresser drawers, and under her pillow, but I wasn't having any luck. I knew I was running out of time, so I decided it was time to leave.