18 Hollywood Babylon: Part 4

Back at the motel, the boys told me about the craziness of their day.

"So, when we got there, we were hoping that last night would've taken care of the haunting," Dean said.

Sam nodded. "But one of the crew had been pulled into a giant fan and killed."

"That's horrible," I said.

"So, we found out that an electrician named Bill Beard had died the same way back in '66. When we did some research, we found that he had been cremated," Sam explained.

I nodded.

"While we were watching the movie footage back to see if we could find anything else on them. We realized that they were using a real necromantic summoning ritual for the movie," Sam said.

"So, they were bringing the spirits back without even realizing?" I asked.

"Well, we weren't sure. So, we went and talked to Marty, the writer. It turns out that he wasn't the original writer. A man named Walter was the original, but they changed everything on him," Dean said.

"So, we read the original script and realized that Walter's movie script was actually pretty good, but also extremely accurate," Sam said.

"Did Walter try to take revenge or something?" I asked.

Sam nodded. "When we went to confront Walter, he was using Billy Beard's spirit to drag Marty into a fan."

"Walter explained that he was angry that the studio had taken something he worked on and changed it completely. So, he was using the spirits to kill the people he hated," Dean said.

"But how?" I asked.

Sam sighed. "Well, he had a talisman that controlled the spirits. Unfortunately, when I was trying to convince him to give me the talisman, he smashed it on the floor."

"That was stupid." I rolled my eyes.

Dean nodded. "Yeah, he freed the spirits, but then they took their revenge on him for making them murder."

"Now that it's all taken care of, are we leaving tomorrow?" I asked.

"We wanted to go back one more time to make sure everything had been taken care of," Sam said.

I frowned. "Oh."

"What's wrong?" Sam asked.

"Can I just stay here tomorrow?" I asked.

"Why? Did something happen?" Dean asked.

I shrugged. "I don't know. She just acted different today. Like she was just kind of awful to people. Then when we got home and finished dinner, she made me do the dishes. Which was fine, but after I was done. I went to join her on the couch, and as soon as I sat down, she asked me to get up and pour her a glass of wine. It was just really weird today." I sighed. "I started to feel like this yesterday. She just makes weird comments and is kind of a mean person. I don't really want anything to do with her."

Sam and Dean looked at each other and then at me.

"I think that maybe you should just give it the last day," Sam said softly.

Dean shook his head. "Come on, Sam..."

"Dean, we aren't gonna be long, and if there is a chance that this visit can end positively with her mom... I would like that to be what she remembers," Sam said.

I furrowed my brow. "But I—"

"Ya know what? Maybe he's right," Dean said, "I'd rather you leave happy with this visit. And if you need us, we're only a phone call away."

I sighed and shrugged. "I guess you're right."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After I said goodbye to the boys the next morning, my mom led me into the kitchen.

"I made you some breakfast." She smiled.

"Okay." I nodded and then sat down at the table.

She set the plate of pancakes down in front of me and then sat in the chair across from me. I felt uncomfortable, though, because she didn't have her own plate, and she was just staring at me.

"Are you going to eat too?" I asked.

My mom shook her head. "Oh no, I had a protein shake this morning. I try to avoid food like this." She smiled.

"So, what are we doing today?" I asked as I took a bite.

"I just thought we could watch some movies and play some games," she said.

I nodded. "That sounds fun." I took another bite and then sipped some milk.

"How is it?" she asked.

"It's really good. Thank you." I smiled.

"Anything for you, sweetie." She smiled.

As I continued to eat, my stomach started to hurt, and I was getting nauseous. I stood up.

"What's wrong? You still have half a plate of food," she said.

"I just need to use the bathroom," I said, but as I started to walk, my vision became blurry, and I lost my footing. Once I hit the floor, I closed my eyes, and I was out.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *