17 Heart: Part 3

Dean pulled up in front of a diner in town, and we got out. After ordering, our burgers came a few minutes later.

"So, have you thought more about your mom's call?" Dean asked as he took a bite of the burger.

"You mean Renee? No." I shrugged.

"First name basis now?" Dean nodded. "All right."

"Well, she's never really been, my mom. At least not what I think one should be," I said.

"We don't know the whole story," Dean said.

"Really? You and I both know how you feel about her," I said.

Dean furrowed his brow. "What?"

"The day we called her. You weren't very quiet afterward," I said.

Dean shook his head. "Oh, no. That's not how this is gonna be. Don't change your opinion, just 'cause I have a big mouth."

"Dean, I mean, how many chances can I give her?" I asked.

"Okay, well..." Dean cleared his throat. "I would give anything to see my mom again. Maybe just give her one last chance and meet her. If it doesn't work out, you'll always have me and Sammy."

"You know that even if meeting her goes well, and I actually end up liking her. I won't leave you and Sammy for her, right?" I asked.

Dean nodded. "Yeah."

I stared at him. "I'm just saying because Meg said—"

"Meg's a liar," Dean interrupted.

"Okay, all right. Well, if I do meet her. I'm not going into it with open arms," I said.

Dean nodded. "I'm not saying you should."

"Okay," I said.

"Just don't make yourself not enjoy your time with her because you think you hate her," Dean said.

"What? I wouldn't do that," I said.

Dean smirked. "Come on. You're like me. If you already have a thought in your mind, it's hard for you to accept something else."

"Whatever. I'll go into it with an open mind." I shrugged. "Guarded, but open."

Dean smirked. "All right, as long as you try."

"Okay, how 'bout. The next time we swing into California. We'll stop by," I said.

Dean furrowed his brow. "We haven't been there since we picked up Sam."

I nodded. "Exactly."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Back at the motel, we watched Dr. Sexy MD until it got dark.

"Do you think Sam is coming back?" I asked.

Dean smirked and shook his head. "Probably not."

I frowned in disgust, and then we got ready and went to bed.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Early the next morning, as we were packing up to leave, someone pounded on our door.

Dean looked over at me and furrowed his brow, and then answered the door to reveal Sam standing there, out of breath.

"She— She turned." He breathed.

"What?" Dean asked, shocked.

Sam shook his head sadly. "I couldn't grab her in time."

"We'll find her, Sammy," Dean said.