9 Croatoan: Part 4

Dean, Sam, Mark, and I had been preparing to make explosives in the office for a few hours when Dr. Lee walked in.

"It's been over four hours. Duane's blood is still clean. I don't think he's infected. I'd like to untie him if that's all right," she said.

"Sure. Yeah." Sam nodded.

Dr. Lee nodded back and left.

"You know I'm gonna ask you why," Sam said.

Dean nodded. "Yeah, I know."

"So why? Why didn't you do it?" Sam asked.

Dean cleared his throat. "We need more alcohol."

Sam sighed and walked into the dispensary at the back of the office. I looked up to see Pam close the door behind him.

"Uh, Dean?" I asked.

"You gonna hound me too?" Dean asked.

I stood up. "No, I—"

Suddenly, there was a crashing sound, and we could hear Sam struggling. Mark and Dean quickly looked at each other and pulled their guns out, hurrying to the dispensary. Dean kicked the door in and shot his gun three times.

"She bled on him. He's got the virus," Mark said.

I ran into the room to see a cut on Sam's chest, and Pam was lying dead on the floor. Sam pulled his hand away from Dean.

We rushed Sam to the doctor. She drew his blood and then bandaged his chest. Sam wouldn't look up at us. I could see tears forming in his eyes. Dean paced angrily, and I sat on a stool and stared at the floor.

"Doc, check his wound again, would you?" Dean asked.

She didn't answer.

"Doctor!" Dean shouted.

"What's she need to examine him for? You saw what happened," Mark said.

"Did her blood actually enter your wound?" Dr. Lee asked.

"Come on, of course, it did!" Mark shouted.

"We don't know that for sure," Dean snapped.

Duane shook his head. "We can't take a chance."

I stood up. "You're still standing."

"Maddison..." Sam said softly.

"You know what we have to do," Mark said.

"Nobody is shooting our brother," Dean said.

"He isn't gonna be your brother much longer. You said it yourself," Duane said.

"Nobody is shooting anyone!" Dean yelled.

"You were gonna shoot me!" Duane shouted.

"You don't shut your pie-hole. I still might," Dean said.

"Dean, they're right. I'm infected; just give me the gun, and I'll do it myself," Sam said.

"No!" I yelled.

Dean shook his head. "Forget it."

"Guys, I'm not gonna become one of those things," Sam said with tears in his eyes.

"Sam, we've still got some time," Dean said.

"Time for what? Look, I understand he's your brother, and I'm sorry, I am. But we gotta take care of this." Mark pulled out his gun.

"I'm gonna say this one time... you make a move on him. You'll be dead before you hit the ground. You understand me?" Dean took a step toward Mark. "I mean, do I make myself clear?!"