11 Playthings: Part 3

We made our way up to our room, but the door was cracked open with the key hanging out of it when we reached it. We walked in, and Sam was sitting in a chair with his back to the door.

"There's been another one. Some guy just hung himself in his room," Dean said as he closed the door behind us.

"Yeah. I saw." Sam growled.

"We've gotta figure this out, and fast. What'd you find out about Granny?" Dean asked.

"You're the boss," Sam slurred.

Dean looked at Sam, surprised. "What?"

"You're bossy. And short." Sam laughed sloppily.

Dean furrowed his brow. "Are you drunk?"

"Yeah." Sam shrugged and laughed. "So? Stupid."

I looked over and spotted several empty bottles.

Dean spotted the bottles too. "Dude, what are you thinking? We're working a case."

Sam stared off at nothing with tears in his eyes. "That guy who hung himself. I couldn't save him."

"What are you talking about?" Dean asked. "You didn't know. You couldn't have done anything."

Sam shifted his gaze to Dean. "That's an excuse, Dean. I should have found a way to save him. I should have saved Ava too."

Dean walked up to Sam. "Yeah, well, you can't save everyone. Even you said that."

Sam slammed his hand on the table. "No, Dean, you don't understand, all right? The more people I save, the more I can change!"

Dean shook his head. "Change what?"

Sam leaned forward with his hands on his chest. "My destiny, Dean!"

"All right. Time for bed. Come on, Sasquatch." Dean leaned over and hauled Sam's arm over his shoulder, lifting him from the chair. "Come on."

I went over and sat on Dean's bed, so I was out of the way.

"I need you to watch out for me," Sam slurred.

Dean nodded. "Yeah. I always do."

"No! No, no, no." Sam shoved Dean off of him. "You have to watch out for me, all right? And if I ever... turn into something that I'm not... you have to kill me."

Dean sighed. "Sam..." He started to turn away.

Sam shoved Dean. "Dean! Dad told you to do it. You have to."

Dean nodded. "Yeah, well, Dad's an ass."

Sam frowned.

Dean shook his head. "He never should have said anything. I mean, you don't do that, you don't— you don't lay that kind of crap on your kids."

"No. He was right to say it!" Sam yelled. "Who knows what I might become? Even now, everyone around me dies!"

"Yeah, well, I'm not dying, okay? Neither is Maddi. And neither are you. Come on. Sam." Dean pushed Sam onto his bed.

Sam stayed seated while reaching up and grabbing Dean's jacket. "No, please! Dean, you're the only one who can do it. Promise."

Dean grabbed Sam's shoulder. "Don't ask that of me."

"Dean, please. You have to promise me," Sam pleaded, with tears in his eyes.

Dean looked down, shook his head, and sighed. "I promise."

"Thanks." Sam reached up and grabbed Dean's face with both hands. "Thank you. You are—"

"All right. Come on." Dean pushed Sam's hands away and shoved him back on the bed.