7 The Usual Suspects: Part 2

I sat at a table in the middle of an otherwise empty room. I had been waiting for at least an hour for someone to come talk to me. Then the door opened, and the woman from earlier walked in.

She smiled. "I'm Agent Ballard." She set down a glass of water in front of me. "Thought you might be thirsty."

"No, thanks. Where's my brother?" I asked.

"Which one? We have both Sam and Dean," she said.

"What? Why? Why are we even here?" I asked.

The woman sighed and sat down. "Dean is being held on suspicion of murder. And Sam." She shrugged. "We'll see."

"Murder?! What are you talking about?" I asked.

She laughed. "You're as good of an actor as Sam. You both seemed genuinely surprised. Bravo."

"Who did Dean supposedly murder?" I asked.

"Tony and Karen Giles," she said.

"Karen's dead?" I asked.

"We'll get around to that. First, I want to find out how much you know," she said.

"Well, ask away. Doesn't mean I'm going to give you any answers," I said.

She smiled. "I know all about you and your family." She read from a file. "You're twelve-years-old, no home address because your family moves around a lot. Your mother and father's whereabouts are unknown. Your brother, Sam, is twenty-three-years-old. No job and no home address. Previously attended Stanford, but dropped out after the death of his girlfriend, Jessica Moore. And then there's the case of your brother Dean. Whose demise was, well, just a little bit exaggerated." She looked up at me.

I crossed my arms and sat back in my seat. "What?"

"How's this little road trip with your brother's going?" she asked.

I shrugged. "We saw the second-largest ball of twine in the US."

She laughed. "They've got you trained. Sam said the same exact thing."

"That's 'cause it's true," I said.

"How about this? We ran Dean's fingerprints through AFIS. Do you know what that is?" she asked.

"Automated Fingerprint Identification System. Do you know what it is?" I asked.

She smirked. "Smart girl. Not really enjoying the attitude, but smart girl."

"What did you get?" I asked.

"Got over a dozen possible hits," she said.

I laughed. "That literally means you have nothing."

"But it makes you wonder what we are gonna find when we run Sam's prints," she said.

I shrugged. "Not really."

She smiled and leaned in. "Maddison, you seem like a good kid. It's not your fault. Sam and Dean are your brothers. We can't pick our family."

I rolled my eyes.

She sat back. "Right now, detectives in St. Louis are exhuming a corpse. They're trying to figure out how your brother faked his own death after torturing all those young women. Dean's a bad guy. His life is over. And if we find out Sam was involved... his will be too. Yours doesn't have to be."

"What do you want me to do? Turn on them?" I asked.

"We already caught Dean cold. Red-handed at the Karen Giles murder scene. We just need you to fill in some missing pieces, see if Sam is telling the truth," she said.