18 Hollywood Babylon: Part 2

We had spent a few hours playing poker, laughing, and joking around. I was feeling really good because it just felt comfortable to be with my mom. I was just happy, and we were both enjoying ourselves.

"Oh my god. I should probably start dinner," my mom said and started collecting the cards.

"What's wrong? Scared?" I joked.

"No way, but you are way better at poker than you should be." She laughed and then stood up and walked over to the kitchen. "So, I was planning on making steak, mashed potatoes, and green beans. How does that sound?"

"That sounds amazing." I smiled.

"Great." She smiled and then got to work. "Why don't you go watch some TV for a bit?"

"Okay." I nodded and then walked off into the living room.

I sat down for a while and watched an episode and a half of some paranormal investigation show. It was awful but hilarious.

Once an amazing aroma hit me, I wandered back into the kitchen.

"That smells so good." I smiled. "I can't wait to have a homemade meal."

She laughed. "Yeah, I can imagine that you don't get many of those."

"I can honestly say I've never had one," I said.

"Well, this one's ready," she said as she picked up two plates and carried them over to the table. "Have a seat."

I sat down across from her, and we started eating.

"This is..." I shoveled a few bites of food into my mouth. "Awesome."

My mom laughed. "Slow down. You're going to choke."

"Sorry..." A few bites of food. "I just haven't..." A few more bites. "Eaten this well in a while."

"Well, I'm glad you're enjoying yourself." She smiled.

I smiled back and then finished off my plate.

"Have you ever watched the movie Hairspray?" she asked. "Not the new one. That was trash."

I shook my head. "No."

"Oh, good. It's one of my favorite musicals." She smiled gleefully.

"Musical?" I frowned slightly.

"You don't like musicals?" she asked.

"Well, honestly. I've never watched one. I just know that Dean thinks they're annoying," I said.

"Well, he's a guy. What do they know?" She laughed.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Hairspray turned out to be a really cute movie. Basically, the moral of the story was to be confident in yourself and accept others as they are. I was really happy that we enjoyed it together.

As the credits started rolling, my mom clicked the TV off. "So? What did you think?"

"It was really good." I smiled.

"See? What did I tell you?" She smiled.

I nodded. "I know, I know."

Then there was a knock on the door, and my mom got up to answer it. "Hey, boys. Come on in."

Sam, Dean, and my mom walked into the living room. I quickly got up, ran over to them, and tackled them in a hug.

Dean patted my back. "Hey, kiddo. You guys have fun?"